BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to Killerbugsbunny's place yesterday and with Jeff and Jeremy's help, we welded up the ole 14B SF spider gears.

It works awesome! I was a little worried about the handleing and road manners, but I hardly even notice it!

And lemme tell ya, it works great in the mud too! I almost made it through the pit in only 2wd!

And a special thanks goes out the Ashley for painting a cool happy face on my dif cover.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I guess the fozzy locker then. I get about 1/2 of a turn before it'll lock up.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
with the traditional Lincoln you weld the spiders up solid so they act as a spool.

With the "fozzy" locker you only fill some of the teeth so there is a little play in the gears. Some say this allows some slack so there is less binding and less stress on the axle shafts. Some say this adds stress to the spiders that will lead to failure of the gears, but if you really cared about the gears you wouldn't have welded them in the first place, so what the hay.

BTW the term "Lincoln locker" comes from the fact that Lincoln is a brand of welder.

"Fozzy" is the nick name of first guy that I know of to try the partial welding. Now the term "Fozzy Locker" has spread all over western Canada and US.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The best way to go is to do a fossy locker first. If you no like, you can always remove the spider gears and replace with new ones. But if you jump right in and weld the rear solid and you no like,you are now looking for a replacement carrier and resetting up the stupid thing.
Kalvin that was alot of fun. Thanks for pops, head was alittle fuzzy the smorning. Must do more mods.
Tractionbar this weekend for my rig.;)

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
It's FOZZY locker!!!:mullet

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like I said to Kalvin "just do it". Little harder on the tires but worth the effort.:welder

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hell I'm lincon on my Kick and it is great. I would do it to any rig. My tires are old so they wear weird:confused2 and I deliver pizza so that doesn't help but what the hell. I was sceptical at first until I took it off road. WOW, I would do it rather than a locker(still would do an ARB.)

But thats my two cents.

I drive a suzuki, you wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
392 Posts
fullthrottle said:
it's a f150 long box.my rearend is fawked anyways so i'm thinkin why not
A Fozzy isnt gonna fix your rearend unless its your spider gears that are fawked. Another thing to keep in mind is that if a lincoln locker lets go, chances are you can take it apart and clean it up a bit and fry it back together. If a Fozzy goes, you just blew your carrier to smitherines. Lincoln is the way to go IMHO. And just because you "dont care" about your gears doesnt mean you want to be stranded with a grenaded rear end in the middle of nowhere. Think about it. :eek:

·
Registered
229 Posts
What I think Killer is trying to get at is that a Fozzy is a good way to see if you like a welded rear end. If you do like it then you should Lincon it. But with the Fozzy if you don't like the welded rear end then you can toss a set of new spider gears in and you are back to an open diff without having to swap a carrier.

I think we will be lincon locking it in the near future.:welder

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey full throttle get it done before the run next weekend up little white. You are come right? A few cold beers at the end of the trail could be fun!?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Could i weld up (Fozzy) my 10 bolt rear end and run it on street for about 6 months before i get the $$ to do my 3/4ton diff swaps?? has anybody done this and what problems did you have?? thanks in advance:welder :mullet

·
Registered
185 Posts
does anyone on here weld their own rearends? im looking for someone to weld the one for my sami up... providing they're either cheap or like beer alot....
let me know
thanks ken

1 - 20 of 26 Posts