BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some web links that offer good tech article for 1980 up broncos. would realy like some to do with straight axle swaps for the front as this will be my next mod.

·
Registered
416 Posts
www.fordranger.com

there's lots of tech info and good message boards...lots of people with SAS's there

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fabritech makes a nice kit!

------------------
79 Bronco 33"geerals, 4"coils,shackle reversal
wow!what a view from up here

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by mech3:
Fabritech makes a nice kit!
LOL! nice, if you have ten thousand dollars to spend. Its a very straight forward swap, shouldn't be too hard to do without a kit.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could aford fab tech but I cant. You say its pretty straight forward, I thinck there is lots of little details, and would love to see how other people do it so I could benifit from there mistakes, but I cant find much on the web..

·
Registered
296 Posts
I installed a straight axle Dana 44 from a 78~79 Bronco into my 80 Bronco. Pretty straight forward if your mechanically inclined at all. This is the first one I did but next time I think I would install a Dana 60 setup from a late model F350 since most of it bolts right in, and hey its a Dana 60! I looked at what the Fabritech guys have done with there bolt on kits and it would make things a lot easier, but in my opinion its WAY to much money, especially when its in US dollars! If you want I'll see if I can find some of the web sites I found that helped me out before I did mine.

C.

------------------
80 Bronco, 6" lift, custom straight axle Dana 44 front, 4.10 gears, 9" back, 38" swampers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you require a different pitman arm? I was told the stock ones are too long.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rockfrog,

If your referring to a Dana 44 swap, I have a dropped pitman arm that is part of my 6" lift kit. With a straight axle install you will need a shorter steering arm. I used one from a mid 80s bronco2/ranger, this fits perfectly. I think its the same one the fabritech guys use, maybe not, but I've never hear of the pitman arm being to long. Maybe someone else has had a different experience.

------------------
80 Bronco, 6" lift, custom straight axle Dana 44 front, 4.10 gears, 9" back, 38" swampers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here is a couple links to sites that help me with my install.

Brian Soderblom's : http://soderblom.net/bronco/

He's got alot under the tech section. Has pictures of a straight axle install he is in the process of but no write up yet.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/cuttysark/574/str8axle.html

This guy did one for an F150 but most of it is the same.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/axle.html

Another F150 conversion.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts