1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
whatever you do dont buy lockrite
They are the biggest piece of crap on the market lockrite
I had one in my 90 ranger had nothing but
problams with it replaced it 3 times under warrenty then it blew up the hole rear end
crap ;crap,
they are noisey
they have huge klunks you think you just lost
your rear end
they are shitty when cornering
never buy one

·
Registered
268 Posts
Originally posted by 84 toy:
whatever you do dont buy lockrite
They are the biggest piece of crap on the market lockrite
I had one in my 90 ranger had nothing but
problams with it replaced it 3 times under warrenty then it blew up the hole rear end
crap ;crap,
they are noisey
they have huge klunks you think you just lost
your rear end
they are shitty when cornering
never buy one

i have one in my front diff. i would never put one in my rear diff. that's why it's a spool.

<editorial>

oh yeah and RANGERS SUCK!

------------------
Jeep. It's what's for dinner.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't endorsing them, I was just letting people know they're cheap this month. Personally I have a Detroit soft locker in the rear and a Detroit EZ-Locker in the front.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
268 Posts
i've got one word for all of you:

SPOOL

don't waste your time with that other crap - just watch your tires and the psi and you'll be fine. i've still got 30% on my rear 35" BFGs after a full year of driving, probably at least 15000km. what's that? 360 dollars of 100% reliability and NO noise, plus a really cool howling sound in parking lots.

i saved like 350 because i bought the spool.

------------------
Jeep. It's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well, they don't make a spool for a cruiser, and if you want a locker it's either a detroit full case unit or the detroit ez locker, or the lock rite.
I run an ez locker out back. No problems or complaints in 4 or 5 years of abuse.
I've met a ton of people who run lockrites front and rear or rear only in their cruiser's and nobody had any complaints.
From what I've seen I'd say the lockrite or ez-locker are a good unit, for a cruiser anyways.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude you paid too much for your spool. My locker only cost a bit more (can't say how much, sorry) and it doesn't wear my tires like a belt sander with a vengeance.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had my lock-right for 3 years, no problems so far. They're cheap and easy to install, perfect if you don't have a lot of $$ and aren't putting a lot of power to your tires. If you want to buy a spool why not weld it up and save yourself some $$$.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
222 Posts
You only have 30 percent tread left after one year. Thats terrible. I 've had a lock-rite in the rear for over a year and still have 80 percent tread left. You just have to decide how much money you want to spend.
A lock-rite cost me 400 bucks while a detroit(with new bearings) would have cost 1200. If I had 1200 bucks I think I would go with an electric locker.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yeah , that's pretty spendy for a detroit.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
373 Posts
holy...my last price I got for a detroit was $562!!
I personaly ran a detroit in the rear of my old 4runner for a year and it was ok but I now run a spool in the rear and it kicks ass!! I put the detroit up front and now i pretty much go where I want to!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
222 Posts
750 for the detroit locker
200 for labour of the install
100 for new bearings which they recommend since your going to all the trouble
equals 1050 plus tax.
So it comes out close to 1200 bucks for me.
My bearing price might have been too high, I think that was from toyota, but can't really remember. The detroit is much cheaper is you can set uu your own gears

·
Registered
163 Posts
just got the price quote from nsor for cruiser lockers,
detroit softlocker $970
arb air locker $1152
lockright $480

so its lockright or weld for me, those other two are freakin nuts

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I figure that the quote for the detroit is for the full case unit.
If your worried about the lock rite, don't.
I know lots of guys who run those extreme trails in S.D and abuse their trucks on a regular basis,and they have no complaints about durability.
When I bought my detroit ez locker it didn't make a difference to me which one I got.
I'm convinced the lock rite is just as good a unit for a cruiser.

------------------

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah, I'm not too worried about breaking it, not llke I have a 900 horsepower v8 in the beast!
I'm really just trying to decide on weld or lockright....moreso today,as I didn't make it up the hill I tried to climb...
I'll probably go with the lockright, weld is cheap at first, but new tires every year adds up.
cheers,
ryan.

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put one in my 81 Toy, havent had a problem with it. Guess Ive been lucky
later
Ken

------------------
Only in Canada Eh.....

·
Registered
416 Posts
30% ? Ouch! Doesn't that mean you're gonna kill your Swampers in 6 months?

I've had the same tires as you for a year now (6 months with welded rear) and I have no less than 65% left on the rears and 75 on the front. I drive it every day (28,000km in the last year) and get dirty almost every weekend, even if its just some dirt road to go fishing.

You're right about the spool, dude. It will never break and there's no weird handling to deal with. 100% predictabile

If you want a self-installed locker for average 4 wheelin then there's nothing wrong with a Lockrite.

BTW, Ford TTB is the next best thing to solid axle!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.