BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a D44 for the rear of my XJ. I just realized that it's open. It's my daily driver (90k round trip to work). It gets some heavy wheeling from time to time. Limited slip is out because I hate it when I get a wheel in the air and I no go.
A locker seems to be the logical choice. Now ARB and OX are out due to cost and with ARB other issues.
A Detroit softlocker was the number suggestion for me and the other was a lockright.

Any thoughts which would be best for my application??

Thanks for the help.
Rob

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Definitely choose the Detroit Softlocker. It's more costly (due to installation) but it is much better on the street and is bullet proof.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 44 in my XJ I recently put a soft locker in...Don't even notice it's there. There is no comparison for durability, choose the Detroit.

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.
1987 XJ ...shorter, stable, and Green
"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Flex:
I have a 44 in my XJ I recently put a soft locker in...Don't even notice it's there. There is no comparison for durability, choose the Detroit.
Flex, Can I ask you what the locker in itself cost you? I was quoted $750 from IWE and $825 from NSOR...

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Registered
282 Posts
Definitely get the Detroit...the Lockrite just replaces the side and spider gears so it's only as strong as the carrier you put it in...the Detroit comes in its own carrier...built to withstand itself if you know what i mean

------------------
97 ram 1500 swb.3" w/35"mt. 4.56 w/rear detroit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go for the detroit
I had nothihg but problams with my lockrite
WORD OF ADVICE NEVER I MEAN NEVER GO TO IWE
I HAD MY RANGER THERE AND IT WAS THE WORST MASTAKE I'VE EVER MADE!!!!!
HE WILL GIVE YOU A GREAT QUOTE
BUT WHEN THE JOB IS DONE IF HE DECIDES TO FINISH THE JOB
THE PRICE WILL BE HIGHER
nORM

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I can't speak for Ian's (IWE) service - never had any done, but I'm impressed with the parts and prices I've gotten there. He's also good for very odd items - in that he'll actually know what you're talking about. A stark contrast to the "Duh?" you get most places.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Current shopping list:
YJ front springs (stock)
5.13 or 3.91 gears for Dana 44
4 & 6 cylinder diesel engines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.