BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a locker for the diesel but i'm not sure front or rear?

Also which one will work the best with the diesel - air locker etc. and what is an average price.

Yasu was not in so i couldn't get any quotes.

------------------
475,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
34 Posts
both...i'm locked in the rear and can't wait for the front...most put a lock in the rear(detriot,ect)and a arb or something you can turn on\off so you can steer...

------------------
82 toyota,3"body lift,7"spring lift,full size dana 44 front,12 bolt-stock locker rear,35"tires,custom everything...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Personally I like the ARB's , pricy but very effective . I ran the ARB's front and rear in my /80 for years with not one problem , even in the winter . I parted out that /80 a few years back , and just my luck , I bought em' back a week ago . The project has begun ..

------------------
is that u up there :)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1738

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
ya know I didnt answer your all of question . If your just going to buy one , which ever brand or type , I would put it in the rear . Its the diff you use the most . Just remember if its a "full" locker you have tire ware and noise to deal with .

------------------
is that u up there :)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1738

·
Registered
376 Posts
From my perspective I would go with a rear locker. I say this because for my 4Runner the rear flexes more and thus there is more traction at the back. I also like the ARB as it can be turned off. I do not have a locker at the moment but I am thinking of getting a rear locker. This should bring some discussion - I figure that instead of spending all the dough to get SAS and replace the ifs I would get a locker instead. I figure that so what if I can not flex if I am locked that will compensate, afterall most lifted vehicles also run lockers. Flame on dudes!

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Locker? I'd put the rear one in first.
I'm running an EZ locker, for about 4 years now, and eventualy it's going up front and I'll get a detroit full case unit for the rear.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Tarzan:
This should bring some discussion - I figure that instead of spending all the dough to get SAS and replace the ifs I would get a locker instead. I figure that so what if I can not flex if I am locked that will compensate, afterall most lifted vehicles also run lockers. Flame on dudes!

Back when I was only running a rear locker, I noticed a HUGE diff in performance when I disconnected my front sway bar.

IMO, a rear locker doesn't obviate the benefit of greater front axle articulation that you'd get by dumping your IFS.

Of course, if most of your 'wheeling is done on relatively even ground, then a locker will give you a bigger performance increase than an SAS.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts