BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4.56 gears with a locker. I was looking at 5.29. Could I use my old locker with 5.29.

------------------
35" MT/R, solid axle,lot's more

·
Registered
156 Posts
heh mike how's it going it's Nick. You don't want 5:29's who's got you going on that. Your 4:56's are way better than 5:29's, they are awsome for rocks crawling but your truck is going to be way slower and any aftermarket gears are about 30-40% weaker than your toyota gears go dual transfer case like i'am save'in up for it's the best way to go. As soon as that snow melts were all doing a camping 4x4 explortion trip.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by mike c:
I have 4.56 gears with a locker. I was looking at 5.29. Could I use my old locker with 5.29.

Do you have a Toyota Electric Locker, because if you do I'll trade you mine with 4:10's (as your regearing anyway) and I want 4:56's. Trade plus a little cash of course!

Barry

------------------
88 4Runner SR5/PMS

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why are stock gears stronger than aftermarket? I thought that they all used the same metal except the precision stainless gears

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by Lil' blue Yoyo:
Why are stock gears stronger than aftermarket? I thought that they all used the same metal except the precision stainless gears
because as you go numerically higher in gears the gears become smaller.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand that as the gear goes lower there's more cut out of the pinion. I was just wondering why stockers were stronger than aftermarket 30-40%

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
1,269 Posts
You're both right. When referring to gears, lower means a higher numerical number. Think of it this way, lower = slower.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by mike c:
I might be able to use your 4:56's if you dont want them any more

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buddy of mine brought up an interesting question, the new electric lockers that come in the Yotas, can they be used in the front as well??

------------------
LESLIE
72 Bronco, 351, F/R locked and 35" Boggers
67 Bronco, lawn ornament
90 F150 4x4, 33" MT, daily driver

1 - 13 of 13 Posts