BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck currently has a 9" (open) rear end, and I have been pondering my locker options, including an ARB Air Locker - what are your experiences? Since this is also my daily driver, I am curious about the driveability of the various lockers out there...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know how a detroit (or a spool) handles on icy roads?

My Bronco is the only thing I want to drive during the winter and although it doesn't ice very often here, there are usually a few weeks where I'm driving the ice covered roads.

I've currently got a LS in the front and open in the back. I'll probably go ARB in the front (someday) but not sure what to do about the back. I don't really want an ARB in the back because they all too often seem to start leaking and you lose the locker while on the trail.

Lately I've been seriously considering a spool in the back and although this isn't really a daily driver, I do take long (1000's of miles) trips in it to get to the good trails.

And I'm worried about how a spool or non-ARB locker will handle on ice covered roads.

Any experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hrm... Thanks for the info so far! I haven't had a chance to drive a locked truck on-road, so those who contributed driving experiences have been especially useful.

michael: Driveline slop could be an issue for me, since I have a shortbox F-150, and my driveshaft is already a little marginal angle-wise (not to mention that I just dropped in a custom shaft to replace the previous owner's hack job) - the angle is good at the diff, but it's a little steep at the t-case.. Usage is fairly wide-ranging still - it's more of a general trail rig than anything special yet (besides being the main mode of transportation for me).

I thought about fitting an ARB, but the cost is a little steep for me, although since my truck is also my daily driver, it may end up being the sanest option... Do the new gearless lockers (or the soft engagement lockers) have better on-road manners than a standard no-frills Detroit?

[This message has been edited by bry-guy (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by michael:
i have a detriot in the rear of my truck. it performs flawlessly. every once in a while it will kick and make metalic crashing sounds,
How old is your Detroit? The reason I'm asking is because I know the old style Detroits were known for this but the newer (built within the past 4-5 years, I think) Detroit Softlockers are much better. I've had maybe one bang in my Detroit since it was installed several months ago.

if a spool was available for my dana 70 i would go that route as it would get rid of the annoying backlash lurches that occur in low speeds tight corners ( parking lots ).
for a 9" spools are CHEAP and plentiful. the difference between the drivability of a spool and detriot is with the spool you dont have the built in backlash otherwise they are identical, always locked with spool, virtually almost always locked with detroit, only unlocks to allow a wheel to exceed driven speed(rare).
This condition happens whenever you drive around a corner. The inner wheel is driven by the carrier while the outer is free spooling because it's driven by the pavement on the outside arc of the curve, which will cause it to travel faster. I'm not trying to be contrary but I think the difference is much more noticable. With a spool, you will experience more tire wear or driveline stress. A spool will cause tire chirping on any sharp corner but the same is not true for a Detroit (I have noticed the chirping with my Lockright in my old Dana 35 axle, though).

sorry for the ramble but its hard to describe a detriot but easy to show neg behavior as at work we have a detriot in a very short wheelbase semi truck and it is a bitch to drive.
Man, it's like we're living on different planets!
I drive my Jeep YJ on the street a LOT and the rear Detroit is almost un-noticable. I don't find it nearly as squirrely as my Lockright was. I was very, very surprised by how good it was on the street.

any locker equiped vehicle should only be driven very carefully until you learn its unique characteristics,
That, I agree with.

...lars

[This message has been edited by lars (edited September 07, 2000).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
401 Posts

neither of them are very good. I had a 2WD PU with a detroit in the back. It definately woke you up in the morning on an icy day.

I can only suspect a spool to be worse as when you take a corner there is no ratcheting affect to let the tension go. THis would make the back end want to come around even when your not on the gas.

Just my opinion. Can't wait to get the locker in my Suzuki and see how a short(read "really" short) wheel base does on icy roads

------------------
'86 samurai hardtop, SPOA, 31" BFG, 5.13 gears, Breeze Steering

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by bry-guy:
My truck currently has a 9" (open) rear end, and I have been pondering my locker options, including an ARB Air Locker - what are your experiences? Since this is also my daily driver, I am curious about the driveability of the various lockers out there...

Thanks!

Get a full spool. Cheaper and stronger than a Detroit. Everyone will tell you how dangerous a spool can be on ice and snow, well those are the same guys that say they never know their Detroit is back there. They don't know cause it has never unlocked on a turn and scared the bee-jesus out of them. The one thing a spool has over a Detroit is that it is PREDICTABLE. You know exactly what it is going to do and when. Yep, you might get a chirp or two occasionally in the gas station or a parking lot, however IMHO the tires chirping on a hot summer day are better than the banging and clanging of a Detroit letting lose or chirping anyway because it did'nt unlock. I know I ran one and am now sold on a spool. Of course there is the ARB $$$$$

Spools

Detroits

See you at the RCC

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by Chet:

neither of them are very good. I had a 2WD PU with a detroit in the back. It definately woke you up in the morning on an icy day.

I can only suspect a spool to be worse as when you take a corner there is no ratcheting affect to let the tension go. THis would make the back end want to come around even when your not on the gas.
I've driven many muscle cars with spool and detroit worst spins I ever remember were when I let off the gas in a corner on ice/snow turning at idle was not alwas posseble on a hot day it would just push the front tires in a straight line ( prob not a prob with big tires FRONT and back

the only other prob I remember catching me unaware was high speed curves on the freeway would push you to the outside on gas and pull a bit to the inside off the gas, only happend at about 100 Mph so not much of a concern for 4x4's

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts

lars- yeah mine is the older style NO SPIN. but i still say the differences between spool vs detriot all favour spool. i wouldnt call my tire wear/ driveline stress is particularly low. it kills tires and scares the s--t out of people when it kicks. goofy gyrations in low speed corners as it loads/unloads repeatably. my large tires soak up a lot of the scrub in corners but you should try marking your hubs and see how often your det actually unlocks,
That's a hell of an idea! I think I'll try that, just to see the results.

...lars

------------------
1991YJ9540HOTF999D3004:1D444.10DetroitD444.10DetroitSOA3512.50ProCompMTs8274Rhino

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Some people probably opt for a "Lincoln locker" over a spool simply because they want to avoid paying somebody to setup the gears when installing a spool.

...lars

------------------
1991YJ9540HOTF999D3004:1D444.10DetroitD444.10DetroitSOA3512.50ProCompMTs8274Rhino

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
4 Posts
summit sells spools for 163.95USD for the 9".
if i ran a 9" it would be really hard to resist.

199USD for a strange dana 60 spool.

60USD for a mini spool why would you lincoln locker?

[This message has been edited by michael (edited September 17, 2000).]

I went with a lincoln locker because I couldn't find a mini spool or spool for a 30 spline Dana 60.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
the $60 mini spool doesnt require gear setup it uses billet pieces to replace sidegears and spidergears
Yeah but the gear setup is to get the correct backlash and pattern between the pinion and ring gear. How do you avoid doing this with a spool? Given that there are variances between housings and carriers, I don't see how you can install a spool into a housing and expect the pattern and backlash to be perfect.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
BTW, I tried that trick where I marked both tires prior to driving to work. There were absolutely no bangs from the rear Detroit (it rarely ever does that) on the way to work. Once there, I checked and the tires definitely rotated by different amounts. This confirms my assumption that my Detroit is working correctly. The banging sound that rare occurs is not the result of normal, every day operation.

FWIW, it was easy to tell when my Lockright was working because it was easy to hear the ratcheting. However, it also made occassional bangs although it was never anything serious.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
Yeah but the gear setup is to get the correct backlash and pattern between the pinion and ring gear. How do you avoid doing this with a spool? Given that there are variances between housings and carriers, I don't see how you can install a spool into a housing and expect the pattern and backlash to be perfect.

...lars

What he's getting at, Lars, is that a mini-spool uses an open carrier. You go into an axle that's already set up and replace the spider gears, shaft, and side gears with the mini-spool. Since the carrier hasn't changed, there's no need to change the gear setup.

A full spool DOES replace the carrier (or, rather, it takes the place of the carrier) and thus would require a new gear setup.

------------------
--C.J. Ford

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by CJ:
What he's getting at, Lars, is that a mini-spool uses an open carrier
Ah! Ok, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's obvious that I didn't know the difference btwn a mini- and a full-spool.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts