BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok for me to lock in my hubs and not be in 4X4 example:it's snowy but the Hwy is ok but the side streets are terrable can I lock in my hubbs and then when I need to shift in to 4X4?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's O.K, your ring gear is turning as long as you have your hubs locked. so YES you DO get lubrication. The spider gears only turn when the vehicle is making a turn to allow wheels to turn at different speeds.

Giv'er

------------------
Hard work often pays off after time, but lazyness always pays off now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is there any extra wear or anything?

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do it all of the time so I can pop in and out of FWD when needed on snow/ice covered bush roads and highways.

The only draw back that I know of is fuel economy decreases slightly. You have more parts in motion so there could be some additional wear but I think it would be insignificant. It is also a little noisy and adds a little vibration. I am not a mechanic but I do know that I do it all of the time with no problems. However, I did know a mechanic that kept the hubs locked all winter in his 81 cruiser. Thats why I started to do it.

What Cliffhanger said makes sense.

It's O.K, your ring gear is turning as long as you have your hubs locked. so YES you DO get lubrication. The spider gears only turn when the vehicle is making a turn to allow wheels to turn at different speeds.
Giv'er

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote from Rockwell
"No, its not okay.... because only your axle and spider gears are turning it is possible for them to not get enough lubrication. when you are in normal 4x4 the ring gear in the differential is slinging oil around and lubricating all the parts evenly....In other words... try not to do it often..."

This seems incorrect. As I understand it the front drive part on a basic 4WD provides power from the transmission thru the transfer case (disconnect point), front driveshaft, front differential, axles, hubs(disconnect point), to the wheels. This indicates to me that if one of the disconnects is connected (locking the hubs) then the rest of the driveline should rotate thus providing the same lubrication as if you were in 4WD with the hubs locked. This is assuming you have the basic 4WD system cause I know nothing about diff locks that are showing up now.
We have been locking our hubs in for winter since we moved to Canada in 1969 and have never had a failure that was caused by operating in 2wd with hubs locked in. In fact the earlier Toyota manuals recomend locking your hubs in once every 30 days or so in order to provide adequate lubrication to the front driveline.
I am not trying to flame anyone, just posting my experience. Please correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Bushboy

·
Registered
13 Posts
OOPS
The downside is that if you have any wear in your front driveline it will be way more noticeable 'cause you will be rotating your front driveshaft at highway speeds instead of bush speeds. A lot of people don't realize that their front ujoints are worn 'cause they only ise 4WD at slow speeds.
Quate from Jeepasaurus
"Is there any extra wear or anything?"
Yes 'cause more parts are moving, but if everything is in good shape there shouldn't be a problem. In my 'yotas i would often drive 2WD locked in up to 65 mph if there was ice on the roads. No problems. I know different makes have different rules tho so read your manual.

------------------
Bushboy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes lock your hubs and away you go. This is the best way to use 4x4 in differing conditions since only with the hubs locked can you shift on the fly. I am a mechanic and have lived up north this is what everybody does in the frozen north.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by stihl036:
What Cliffhanger said makes sense.
The Jeep axle disconnect system is proof that it doesn't hurt the gears. One front wheel is always connected to the diff even when in 2wd.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited January 27, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
183 Posts
they are cheaper and work better and last way longer

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY>

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ford advises that you shouldn't drive for mor e than 50Km with the hubs locked in and not being in 4wd according to the manual.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ya but thats a ford

------------------
If you build it they will come.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by snowman6971:
Ya but thats a ford
You took the words right out of my mouth! LOL

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cheap shot!
I like my Ford, however my XJ has realy grown on me.
The Ford doesn't get driven quite as much.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
for those of you who own a landcrusier, you will all know that toyota requires/reccomends that the hubs be periodically locked and driven to lube everything (in 2wd) no it wont damage anything.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been in 2wd with hubs locked for almost a week with no problems so far

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by BlackShadow:
Since this is a topic about locking hubs. I will ask a question. I have a 93 Nissan truck. With auto-locking hubs. Is there somthing better about manuel locking hubs thats better, or does it matter?

,BS
Hey my 79 scout has auto locking hubs so I don't think it's cause they wear faster.
How ever you can only use them for going forward not reverse and no engine breaking going down hill. That will definetly trash them. For off road you need to put them in lock position then.

------------------
http://profiles.yahoo.com/gsw_can

[This message has been edited by Sid the Squid (edited February 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Sid the Squid (edited February 03, 2002).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as your diff.fluid is full and clean your u-joints and inner spindle bearings have been service in the last year there will be no problem running it with the hubs locked in. If you have auto hubs, dump them they don't last and bail when you need them most.25years in the trade

------------------
Were not fast like Mcdonalds, but built to last.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by xjtank:
Ford advises that you shouldn't drive for mor e than 50Km with the hubs locked in and not being in 4wd according to the manual.
The next question is which year of fords?
I have been locking my hubs in the winter for years and I drive 250k's to work. never had a problem. Now, them newer car like trucks with their "funky doomahickey auto this'n'thats" may not be able to handle real truck use like the older "beat the piss out of 'em sunday drive to work monday" trucks they made 15 - 35 years ago or more.
dave

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts