BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving from Alberta this summer and want to do some safe exploring. I don't want to limit my travel to just weekends - can someone tell me more about using logging roads? Is there somewhere I can find the radio frequencies of all the ones in BC? Or are these frequencies only posted at the start of the road? Typically what frequency range are they in? Can I buy a radio that will cover the whole bandwidth they use?
I used to work up a logging road, so I know the terminology/etiquette on using the road enough to stay out of trouble.

thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
Depending on the road, the freq is usually posted. If you are driving the same roads I've driven, my trip reports have a list of freqs at the end. If you can find one, the last edition of the "British Columbia Emergency Radio Frequency Directory" by ERC Publications has the best list of logging road freqs, but it's out of print, and I don't have any left. Most are VHF, and are between 150-174 MHz. There are a few low-band VHF freqs in use, typically 45-48 MHz. Any scanner will cover this.

I've been considering posting my list of logging road freqs on my website; I still might if there's enough interest.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
[email protected]
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
396 Posts
FYI,

The book I use is from Radio shack and it costs $24.99. The title is British Columbia Frequency List, published by J&M Communications Ltd. I have the 12th edition and I bought it last year.

WW

------------------
1983 CJ5, 8274, 3" lift, 235/85R/16, OBA.
1984 Chev 3/4 ton 4X4
1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The dragon's truck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are from Edmonton, check out CB City in the west end. It's at the big shell truck stop near 170th st. I think it's a road king. They have a lot of booklets on radio frequencies and such. Good luck.

------------------
'92 Ford F-150 Inline-6.
Stock drivetrain, 31' BFT AT, cd, cb, K&N filters, chrome trucker girls on the back window (Lisa and Louise), full bench seat that is always Armor-All'd (it makes it slippery fun), dedicated Beer cooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts