BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON HALF TON FORD LONG RADIUS ARMS? I'M WNDERING IF THEY WILL WORKON MY RANGER SWAP. I ALREADY HAVE THE DANA 44 IN BUT I WANT MMOOORRREE FLEX.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
D44 out of a 1/2 ton ford, solid axle or TTB?

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT IS A 74 BRONCO DIFF WITH CHEVY DISK CONVERSION. I HAD THE STOCK D-35 WITH SKYJACKER RADIUS ARMS BEFORE AND THEY HELPED A LOT, BUT SWAPPING TO THE SOLID AXLE GAVE ME MUCH MORE ARTICULATION, AND IT WAS A LOT CHEAPER TO PUT TOGETHER. NOW I WANT TO SEE WHAT LONGER ARMS WILL DO FOR A STRAIGHT AXLE, I THINK A LOT!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by LT. LARRY:
IT IS A 74 BRONCO DIFF WITH CHEVY DISK CONVERSION. I HAD THE STOCK D-35 WITH SKYJACKER RADIUS ARMS BEFORE AND THEY HELPED A LOT, BUT SWAPPING TO THE SOLID AXLE GAVE ME MUCH MORE ARTICULATION, AND IT WAS A LOT CHEAPER TO PUT TOGETHER. NOW I WANT TO SEE WHAT LONGER ARMS WILL DO FOR A STRAIGHT AXLE, I THINK A LOT!
The F150/Bronco radius arms are about the same length as the skyjacker extended arms.
Longer arms WILL improve articulation, but not by a huge amount. The proven ways to improve articulation with a 'C' bushing ford axle is to eliminate the bind of the C bushings, by either a wristed arm (easiest), a rotating housing (best, IMO), or longer arms (limited)
The longer arms will allow more body roll, more vertical axle travel (pointless without custom springs/towers/coilovers) and less caster change thru bumps.
A wristed arm causes all accel. and braking torque to be transmitted to the chassis thru a single radius arm. Not great, but proven reasonable by the vast majority of users. There have been several who destroyed radius arms due to this tho, so be carefull.
A rotating housing is the most expensive way to go, still sends accelleration torque thru the drivers radius arm, but braking torque is safely distributed to BOTH radius arms.
Beyond that, there are a thousand suspension link variations to discard the C bushings all together, but it is such a simple system, and works so well, that I would rather work with it.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YEAH I AGREE, AFTER I FOUND OUT HOW MUCH THE ARMS COST IT'S NOT WORTH IT. I'M JUST GOING TO DROP THE REAR RADIUS ARM MOUNTS DOWN A FEW INCHES, THAT SHOULD HELP. THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING INFO. HOW DO THE WRISTED ARMS WORK?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by LT. LARRY:
YEAH I AGREE, AFTER I FOUND OUT HOW MUCH THE ARMS COST IT'S NOT WORTH IT. I'M JUST GOING TO DROP THE REAR RADIUS ARM MOUNTS DOWN A FEW INCHES, THAT SHOULD HELP. THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING INFO. HOW DO THE WRISTED ARMS WORK?
Basically, you put a hinge in the right side radius arm right at the C-bushing so that it can flop up and down. This will allow huge articulation from pretty much any spring, compared to the stock arms. Many people put a second removable pin in it to lock it solid when not needed, but some don't. I would, especially if you don't beef up the other arm. Should be OK to drive without the pin, just relearn how it handles, because it will be quite different from stock.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here it is in it's simplest form. I wouldn't waste any time extending or dropping. Wrist an arm in a couple of hours on a Saturday morning for $25 in parts and bolt it on. Your good to go.

This show's how much binding it relives.

Here's what a wristed arm does in the real world.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

[This message has been edited by FearMe (edited February 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by FearMe (edited February 08, 2002).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Nice work roger! Do you got any pics on the entire process, what meaterials you used...etc. I am considering this setup!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HEY LOOKS LIKE YOU FORGOT TO TRIM YOUR FENDERS IN THAT SECOND PICTURE! NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT THESE WRISTED THINGS, IF SOMEONE CAN MAKE ME ONE I'LL GIVE EM $100 AND A CASE OF BEER. I DON'T REALLY TRUST MY OWN WELDING SKILLS, AND I'D HATE TO TRY CHANGING A BUSTED RADIUS ARM ON THE TRAIL. THANKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts