BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the weather started to improve (at least on Saturday) I began to look at my Dana 44 that has been sitting in the yard since October. The time to start work has arrived....

Before I can even begin to think about my ARB and gears going in, I need to clean the axle really well. It had something like 200,000km on it when I got it, and was also blown up with broken spiders and disintegrated pinion bearing. I dont think the diff oil was ever changed either. To make it worse, it had blown axle seals so not only is there a layer of gunk on the inside, but outside as well.

What is a good, but cheap de-greaser to use, because I have a feeling I will have to go through a lot.

Is it smart to use something like gasoline or diesel? Would that even work on caked-on diff oil?
I usually use brake cleaner or oven cleaner, but i've never had a job this dirty, this big before.

Also, any suggestions for cleaning out the inside of the tubes? The layer of crap is not very thick, but is caked on there pretty bad. I heard somewhere people use a toilet brush, does it work well?

Cheers and thanks dudes .... appreciate it :) :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Simple green works pretty good, and a pressure washer. Costco has it for pretty cheap in a 1 gallon bottle.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
gas or diesel works great. just make sure you use it on ashfalt so it doesnt leak in the ground. once done, just let it sit till everthing evapurates
yah gas or diesel and a stiff bristle brush. but the price of gas/diesel you might want to see if other solvents are cheaper haha. and dont use it on ashphalt if using much, it will make it SOFT! just put the axle somewhere you dont want things to grow like the neighbours lawn :whiteflag:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
for a cheap quick around the house item i use dish soap in a warm bucket with a wire brush and a garden hose.. nothing too harsh but works very well.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
brake cleaner is dissapointing. it's cheap but the cans just don't last long enough to clean something like a whole axle. it would take 10 cans.

i started using canadian tire "tools and parts cleaner". it's $8/can but works way better than brake cleaner on grease and oll which i found surprising for a motomaster product. it even melts away and kills the smell of gear oil.

·
Registered
97 Posts
X2...
Your going to laugh your ass off.....

go to the big box grocery store (save on foods? part of Loblaws) and buy the "no name" brand heavy duty degreaser 3.8L for CHEAP! That stuff works far better than simple green. Just don't get it on your hands (it burns)... It actually lists automotive oil/grease as one of the things it cuts through. Directions state not to get it on auto paint (yup, ate the paint on my samurai)

It works quite well, you won't be disappointed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.