BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 87 Chev Full Size pickup with 4" Suspension and 2" Body lift. I'm looking only to run a 33" tire on the truck which still didn't seem problematic to NSOR.

Spoke to NSOR a couple times and they said with these specs it should still be ok. BUT... no one else anywhere will touch it. Willing to pull the blocks to get this done... but still no one will do it. I'd like to avoid towing it all the way to North Shore to get this done. Anyone know any mechanics in the Burnaby, Coquitlam New West, Surrey area that will VI this truck? Everything else about the vehicle is sound - Will need a parking break cable... but I think that's it.

Just looking for a willing 4x4 Mechanic.

-D

·
Registered
944 Posts
If it's safe and everthing is the way it should be you will pass. If it's dangerous, or not put together properly you will not pass. There are sketchy inspectors, but do you want your family on the road with vehicles that have bad brakes, worn out steering components or parts that migth fall off while flying down the freeway? And look into a 1 day permit to get it inspected when its ready. Cheaper than a tow.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
just call up every little shop in the phone book and tell them you have a lifted '87 chev pick-up that needs to be vi'ed, "what day can i bring it in?". you will find someone. there is no need to give them full details of the lift. just say it has a 4" susp lift in it.

if you tell them there is a body and susp lift in it without seeing it they won't want to see it. most mechanics aren't knowledgable enough to know what a body lift looks like.... or even a suspension lift. you shouldn't even need to pull the blocks out of the suspension to pass.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Canadian tire will inspect anything. The key is having a service manager who's not going to ask the tech ahead of time.

You don't need to tow it, you can buy a point to point permit to take it to an inspection, you just have to have the adress of the place you're taking it to.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You can take Steve's advice and hope you find a mechanic so dumb he can't figure out what a body lift is (if you can find one) or take mine. I am a vehicle inspector. Aside from your e-brake cable, I don't have any problem with what you have describe. A 4 inch, six inch or twelve inch lift is not illegal, it just requires an inspection. And no problem with a body life if it's done right. Lift blocks are also acceptable, many trucks including my F-250 have them stock. An inspectors job is to look at these things, make sure it's done properly and will be safe for the operator of the vehicle and every one else. A good attitude will get you a lot further than looking for a dumb-ass and acting like you know better than him. I'll often pass some little things when I have a good feeling the guy will fix it after he leaves the shop.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sport Trucks Unlimited in Surrey (almost Langley) is part of / affiliated with NSOR and may do VIs. Did you try them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... Absolutely. Agreed. I'm all about the safety, and will get whatever work done that needs to be done should safety be an issue. I just find that lift really scares people away. Most places won't deal with a vehicle that is not stock. Some places say they need special equipment to determine legal ride height for headlight and bumper measures. Other places have told me that if someone is willing to do the inspection, all that must be used for ride height is a measuring tape. It seems law adjustments in the last while due to fraudulent inspections have really made certified shops cautious.

But I may have found a place and will try to get some shop time tomorrow.

Thanks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... this is good to know too. I need a laid back inspector who will make sure the vehicle is safe rather than nit-pick-it for everything.

Thanks.. :)

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
... Absolutely. Agreed. I'm all about the safety, and will get whatever work done that needs to be done should safety be an issue. I just find that lift really scares people away. Most places won't deal with a vehicle that is not stock. Some places say they need special equipment to determine legal ride height for headlight and bumper measures. Other places have told me that if someone is willing to do the inspection, all that must be used for ride height is a measuring tape. It seems law adjustments in the last while due to fraudulent inspections have really made certified shops cautious.

But I may have found a place and will try to get some shop time tomorrow.

Thanks...
this is why i say tell the shop that it just has a 4" suspension lift so it doesn't sound so scary huge. some will also be scared of the fact it has body and suspension lift. most manufacturers of either type of lift will say it should not be combined with any other lift for legal purposes.

·
Registered
595 Posts
get the permit for the day and take it to sport trucks
they will inspect it,then give you 7days to fix anything and reinspect it if they need to

·
Registered
45 Posts
The mechanic at Dawson Automotive in burnaby is awesome. I've had my Toy in there several times for VI's as well as my 76 Chev for VI and propane system inspection. Both are lifted fairly high and no issues.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am not sure how a shop can legally refuse to inspect something they are licensed to inspect.

The shop can fail the vehicle for not meeting the legal requirements. But refusing the inspection should be a failure to meet their mandate as inspectors.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
i don't think they are flat out refusing to inspect it, they are basically failing it before seeing it.

i imagine that the op is calling up shops saying "i need a vehicle inspection done on my chev pick-up with a 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift" and the guy on the other side of the conversation is thinking to himself "2 different lifts mixed together on one truck, that sounds huge, sounds like something i shouldn't pass so i'll tell him not to bother"

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would argue that failing a truck that should pass is just as bad as the ones passing the trucks that should not pass.

I still wish the would do "bait cars" on inspection facilities. Seems like a no brain'er to me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Inspectors shouldn't be allowed to refuse inspecting a vehicle. I would make a note of who is refusing and report them to the proper authority. It's their job to look in the inspection manuals and determine what needs to be done. No matter what lift a vehicle has, as long as it meets height requirements for bumpers, mudflaps, and headlights etc, it should be passable, and that's what an inspector should tell you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would argue that failing a truck that should pass is just as bad as the ones passing the trucks that should not pass.

I still wish the would do "bait cars" on inspection facilities. Seems like a no brain'er to me.
Why would a mech fail a car that "should" pass what would there motives be? They have a checklist they go through it and if one of the criteria isn't met then its a fail and technically shouldn't pass. Now some inspectors see past some of that BS and understand just because a fender has a small rust hole in it doesn't mean the vehicle in question is unsafe it just means the guy driving it can't afford a brand new no rust vehicle and duct tape will fix that and let it slide but rules are rules and an inspector has every right to turn that down to protect him self and his liscence.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If a shop doesn't want to work (aka inspect) on your vehicle, they can choose to do so. Same as any other company that can choose to refuse service.

Exactly. Why would it be wrong to not take a job. I turn down work all the time, it would suck if it was illegal, I'd be working non stop just to stay out of jail.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Exactly. Why would it be wrong to not take a job. I turn down work all the time, it would suck if it was illegal, I'd be working non stop just to stay out of jail.
The problem is the person who requires the inspection is legally required to get the inspection.

The government has choosen to licence out that job to private companies.

If the licenced people refuse to do it that private individual has no option to get the vehicle checked. This may not be a big deal in a large town. But some towns only have one shop?

Honestly, I do not think that shop has the right to refuse to do the inspection. Refusing to do an inspection should mean that shop losses their inspection facility licence. They have the right to fail unsafe stuff. Problem is some shop do not want to touch anything modified even if it is fully legal.

This would be the same problem if Aircare refused to do the emission on a vehicle that meets the requirements.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts