BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be gentle as this is my first time...

Myself and a mechanic buddy of mine recently spent a day installing a new 3:73 ring and pinion on the Dana 44 which will go back in my Scout II. His specialty is not working on gears and the last time he did any gears was in the 80's so while he felt the final pattern was pretty good he wasn't overly confident about it given his lack of experience with gear patterns. This is my first time out so all I can go off of is the bucket loads of pictures from various sources like Randy's Ring and Pinion and the gear pattern provided with the Yukon gear instructions and I think it is pretty close. We both thought that the pattern is liveable for a front end that isn't going 70 mph all the time. The only issue (we think) is that the pinion could be brought up a thou or two. What are your opinions?

Why didn't we just adjust the pinion, adjust backlash and re-check? Well... in my infinite wisdom I removed the setup race after the pinion was setup properly using a Pinion depth setting tool. I wrongly thought that there would not be a need to adjust the pinion as it was now "perfect". Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way. You would think after a few decades of this type of experiences I would know better.:violinSo, the end result is that removing the race is going to be a very painful experience and if I can get away with the setup the way it is that would make me very happy.

Here are the pictures. I hope they are large enough to see.

Pinion Pattern

Liquid Mouth Jaw Ingredient Serveware

Ring Patterns

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Metal Wing

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
looks good enough for me or very close , Did you check the pattern under load ?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
As jumbo said, as long as that's the pattern with a load on it I think it's fine

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think most look decent...just a little concerned that not getting more depth on the pinion....but hard to say from the pick...not quite deep enough into the root of the gear is what I see....I'd run it...is it a rear or front diff? Front...run it...are they NEW gears or used? If used, did you pattern test prior to dissassembly?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good enough for me or very close , Did you check the pattern under load ?
Yes I did check under load. Tried at first without but the pattern was all screwed up. Loading it up made it right. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think most look decent...just a little concerned that not getting more depth on the pinion....but hard to say from the pick...not quite deep enough into the root of the gear is what I see....I'd run it...is it a rear or front diff? Front...run it...are they NEW gears or used? If used, did you pattern test prior to dissassembly?
I'm glad that the opinions are leaning toward running it. It's a front diff and the gears, shims etc.. are all new with the exception of the carrier. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I wouldn't run that ur putting all that torque on the weakest part and ur locked so there isn't going to be any give

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up on the above. I had Enrico at Enrico's Differential Solutions in Mission to look at the differential pictures and his comment was "WAY too deep. Move back 5 thou min." He is an expert and I followed his advice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Follow up on the above. I had Enrico at Enrico's Differential Solutions in Mission to look at the differential pictures and his comment was "WAY too deep. Move back 5 thou min." He is an expert and I followed his advice.
This is Enrico, I don't think 5thou will be enough. Maybe ten, maybe more. Its really deep

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Two year old thread, I wonder if the gears blew up yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Two year old thread, I wonder if the gears blew up yet.
He came to me in the Summer of 2014. He has not driven the gear set as of this date. He recently called looking for an appointment to set them up professionally. So no they did not blow up yet. Im glad he didn't run it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts