BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of getting a newer Suzuki for the family. In the 99+ models Suzuki did not offer a basic Vitara in Canada just the grand Vitara with the 2.5L v6 right? In order to get the 2.0L Vitara the only option is to get the tracker? How do they compare? the 2.5L is tiny for a V6 and get worst economy then the 2.0L. Do they both run the same transfer case and transmission? Are there any weaknesses with ether of the drive trains or between the automatic to the 5 speed? I currently use my 1.6L to town my (small) family tent trailer and utility trailer. Did they offer a tow package in ether of the newer ones?

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Try here :

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?153047-lifted-01-Vitara-2.0L-4-door-5-speed-4x4

In the 99+ models Suzuki did not offer a basic Vitara in Canada just the grand Vitara with the 2.5L v6 right? Wrong

In order to get the 2.0L Vitara the only option is to get the tracker? NO, tracker is the same thing anyways really.....

How do they compare? V6's are more powerful but you pay for it in the fuel economy. The v6's are also known to have timing chain issues (tensioners), we personally have only changed a tensioner on a motor set-up we sold, otherwise our grand & xl-7 are fine. (RUN SYNTHETIC) - The 2.0L motor seems very robust.

the 2.5L is tiny for a V6 and get worst economy then the 2.0L: correct,

Comparing numbers

2.0L has 127HP
2.5 has 155 HP
2.7 has 183HP (love it BTW) Going from an 80 HP sidekick it was culture shock

Do they both run the same transfer case and transmission? I'm not 100% sure. Our tranny bolts up to our old sidekick t-case :D

Are there any weaknesses with ether of the drive trains or between the automatic to the 5 speed? I can tell you the automatics are great! , for wheeling, commuting, in town. Never had an issue, I have owned a Grand Vitara 2.5L Auto & my current XL7 2.7L Auto EXCELLENT trucks just crappy fuel economy.

Did they offer a tow package in ether of the newer ones? NO problem with towing, the v6's can tow more IIRC. With our grand vitara we towed an old 16 ft trailer, NOT LIGHT tent trailer is a breeze. I'm sure the 2.0's would not have an issue.

Depending on how big your family is, I would highly recommend an XL-7 because of the 7 passenger factor & tons of room when the 3rd row is folded down. (I have 2 kids & my double stroller & lotsa groceries fit lol)

The Grand Vitara IMO is not enough for a family of 4. (it was fine we had one kid)

· Registered
431 Posts
I bought a 2008 Grand Vitara when the manufacturers were basically giving cars away. This was the last year they offered a standard transmission and the last year for the 2.7 V6. I don't know about 1999, but in later years the V6 was the only engine option from Suzuki. That all changed in 2009 with the introduction of a 3.2 V6 (more power and better fuel economy) as well as a 4 cyl (forget the displacement).

In a nutshell, the only thing wrong with the vehicle is the motor - sucks fuel and no torque (there is power put way up in the rev range). Compared to other vehicles I find that it has a slightly smaller (i.e. less deep) cargo area and slightly better leg room. Build quality is excellent. Simple layout, nothing fancy but everything you need.

Me.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the 99+ models Suzuki did not offer a basic Vitara in Canada just the grand Vitara with the 2.5L v6 right? Wrong

In order to get the 2.0L Vitara the only option is to get the tracker? NO, tracker is the same thing anyways really.....
Weird cause when I search Craigslist for Vitara only the v6 Grand Vitara show up and when I search Tracker I only find the 2.0L. I am looking for the 99 to 2003/4 body style

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what options are there to lift an xl7? 2.5" from calmini for $1050 or 3.25" from masterkit1 (coil spacer/body lift) for $700, any one else building something? what did you put in yours zuki4x4chick? what are the differences between the GV and the xl7 as far as suspension and body lifts go? Rockyroad only say 99+ models do they include the Grand Vitara XL7 in that list

· Registered
217 Posts
Old Man Emu makes a 1 or so inch lift for them. Springs, struts and shocks. Expensive but very good quality. They can be added to a 1" spacer for more lift. I have OME struts and noticed a big improvment in the ride - especially on backroads, plus they have a bit more travel than the factory ones.
If you want OME, look for a local dealer. RockyRoad is an easy internet purchase and good service (for me anyways) but the duty fees will swallow your wallet whole:shakehead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.