BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, as the topic name suggests, have lots of questions about my 1980 Scout II...
-For starters, it is WAY undergeared...3.10's (I think) and big tires...how do I fix this? (ie cost, do it myself?, etc.)
-Next,my truck has an automatic 3-spd which irritates the hell out of me...I would very much like to switch it to a standard 4 or 5 spd...which trannies will fit it? Where can I find one?
-While we're on that topic....I got to thinking this motor will probably need to be rebuilt soon... so if I ever do get to changing the tranny, I might as well change motors too ...What conversions have you done/heard of? How hard/costly are they?
-SOA on a Scout? How hard/Expensive?
Most of these things are me just thinking out loud and may or may not ever happen, but ANY input is appreciated, because I love my truck and plan on keeping it for a long time and...who knows? Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by scoutgreg:
Hi everybody, as the topic name suggests, have lots of questions about my 1980 Scout II...
-For starters, it is WAY undergeared...3.10's (I think) and big tires...how do I fix this? (ie cost, do it myself?, etc.)
-Next,my truck has an automatic 3-spd which irritates the hell out of me...I would very much like to switch it to a standard 4 or 5 spd...which trannies will fit it? Where can I find one?
-While we're on that topic....I got to thinking this motor will probably need to be rebuilt soon... so if I ever do get to changing the tranny, I might as well change motors too ...What conversions have you done/heard of? How hard/costly are they?
-SOA on a Scout? How hard/Expensive?
Most of these things are me just thinking out loud and may or may not ever happen, but ANY input is appreciated, because I love my truck and plan on keeping it for a long time and...who knows? Thanks!
well lets start off with this truck is meant to crawl up hills not race it also has to do with your t-case being low geared {dana300} as for finding parts try standard truck parts in surrey or contact soren they may have a tranny for it . you could change the motor to a 345 it will give you a little more power 304 should be ok as long as it wasnt realy abused before tranny should be strong and you could alway put in a shift kit they are pretty strong trannys . if you do a convertion on it it wont be a true scout any more. just my thought

G

·
if it looks like a scout driving down the road, its a scout to me

chevy motors are abundant ( for now)
get a 350 chevy motor, a 4 spd tranny and a 205 transfer case, stick a dana 44 in front, and a 12 bolt in the back.
to do this swap all you need is a rusty old blazer with running gear intact.
would be way cool, and your regi's would still say scout

just a thought he he he

------------------
Do not be led astray by a false sense of honour--
a thing which often brings men to ruin when they are faced with an obvious danger that somehow affects their pride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts