BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some weird readings from my oil pressure guage in my 84 chev fullsize. THe engine is the 4.1L 250CU I6. When idling it reads just under 200 then in gear it reads 0. Also, when you drive it if you drive it real nice then it's fine but if you give er, it starts to tick faintly and gets louder and louder and louder. I'm thinking this has something to do with the amount of oil making it to the top of the head... Could this be a weak oil pump? Clogged?? Do I need to run thicker oil?? If it's a weak pump, how do I go about replacing it, any idea on parts cost? If it needs cleaning, how do i go about doing that, and what do i clean. The motor has 180,000k on it... Thnx.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Exact same thing happend in an old S-10 I used to have. Oil pressure dropping and a ticking sound under load.

Guess what? Spun a bearing on the crankshaft. Guaranteed you have a worn out crankshaft bearing, I wouldn't drive it anymore cause it's just going to make it more $$$ to fix.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Robin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm... What kind of cost you figure one mite be looking at to get that replaced, would it possibly be cheaper to buy a used motor from the buysell??

[This message has been edited by Toytrx (edited March 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
well if your crank does not need turning and all you need is bearings(and of course an oil pump cause your in there anyway) your looking probally around $200 in parts(I spent $180 at wholesale pricing for the bearings, pump, and gasket set for the L4 in my cherokee). if crank needs turning thats another $100 or so, and if you spun a rod bearing well then you may be screwed.

------------------
-'85 XJ Pioneer 2dr, 3 inch lift, 31"x10.5" tires, 4cyl, 5spd, tinted windows, some goodies, currently running perefectly
written on my dash----->"sit down, shut up, hold on"
on the back window----->100% s**t disturber, made in canada

Grad Class of 2001!
still the original slim shady mechanic¿?¿

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gat-damn, you know, I really don't feel like having to crawl underneath my chev and pull the trans and and rebuild the bottom end... But it looks like that may be the only option, Iwas thinking one could maybe do the repairs with the engine still in the truck, just have to deal with the oil droppin on yer head, is this a possibility?? I've fairly mechanically inclined so I know i can do the job if it comes down to it, guess I'll keep an eye out for a decent 250 motor...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts