BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 1-1/2" end mill, and I don't want to wait for some online retailer to process my order. Where would I find this locally? I've always used other (US or internet) sources for my equipment so I have absolutely no idea, although I've checked Busy Bee and KMS and they both had nothing in that size. Can anyone point me towards a local machine shop equipment supplier? Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
KBCtool.com

edited for my own stupidity. Out of curiosity though what do you need such a large endmill for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KBCtool.com

edited for my own stupidity. Out of curiosity though what do you need such a large endmill for?
Well, long story short, before I put the girlfriend's LJ80 back on the road, I need to rebuild the steering arm. It looks like this:

It consists of a brass-bushed casting (No. 21) which pivots around a steel bushing (No. 23). At either end there are oil seals (No. 22) measuring 26x40x5 mm.

The whole thing was siezed up (seriously, I had to beat seven shades of shit out of the bushing to extractate the whoel shebang), so when she turned the wheel, the entire assembly was rotating with the end result being that the bolt (which runs through a couple flanges on the framerail) was rotating and enlarging the hole in the flanges. So, she would turn the wheel, and the steering arm would torque vertically before beginning to rotate. This created a ton of dead space in the wheel's rotation and caused some nasty vibrations to come up through the wheel.

The problem is this: I plan to machine up a new bushing (No. 23), drill and tap the casting for a grease fitting, and put the whole thing back together... but I can't find the seals. The OEM seals (Suzuki PN# 09283-26011 or 09283-26018) are discontinued, and I cannot locate anyone who produces a seal of the same dimensions; the closest I've found are SKF seals measuring 26x40x7 mm. So, the best/fastest/easiest solution I've been able to conjur up is to machine two millimeters out of each end of the casting to allow the taller seals to fit.

PS: This whole steering system is stupid, just for the record.

·
Registered
752 Posts
lol, stupid yes. Not to burst your bubble, but a 1-1/2" endmill will cost $200 or more for SC, maybe a bit less for HSS. It being a round part you should be able to chuck it up in a manual lathe and use a boring bar to take 'er down the 2mm for the bigger seals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my initial idea, but my lathe can't throw it thanks to that stupid arm hanging off the side. Anyway, KBC seems to have one in HSS for $57.33, and although seems a little cheap to me too, I am well beyond caring... I just want the damn thing back on the road.

·
Registered
752 Posts
oh I thought you were machining #23 but after re-reading I get it now. How long is the arm? Your lathe not big enough for it to clear the bed? Turning it slowly balance shouldn't be an issue but if swing-clearance is then you are SOL. If you were local we could toss it in the CNC and helix it out ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AH HA! Victory is mine once more... by the power invested in me by Google, I've found a solution that precludes the purchase of an end mill I'd probably only use once.

Apparently Honda TRX--- ATV swingarm pivots use a 26x40x5 mm dust seal, and it looks like it's going to work just fine in the steering pivot. Thanks for the help though guys, I'll definitely be using these stores in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.