BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know where to get the parts for a manual hub conversion for a 96 tacoma?

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup iwas under that impression myself but if you look at the old ORS site its quite a job what with pressing in the new hubs and what not.i wouldnt think used parts would be the way to go.apparently its an all day type job and you need a press.thanks for the info its a good start.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
i think the only reason they were pressing parts out was so they could use manual hubs with front abs. does your '96 have abs in the front?

from what i've researched the manual hub tacomas weren't available with abs.

if you don't have abs in the front then you can just use the complete hub assembly and cv shafts from a manual hub truck at a wrecker.

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is all excellent info thanks alot........its my son's truck actually and we are doing a fabtech 3 1/2 inch lift kit.thats how this all started.i dont know for sure if it has abs in the front but i'll check it out. i'll have to ask ryan thom he'll know

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
this is all excellent info thanks alot........its my son's truck actually and we are doing a fabtech 3 1/2 inch lift kit.thats how this all started.i dont know for sure if it has abs in the front but i'll check it out. i'll have to ask ryan thom he'll know
dont bother with spending money on the manual hub conversion. what reasons do you want to do the swap for? if it was a simple bolt on with readily available parts like the minis, then sure. but this requires changing over knuckles, axleshafts etc. not worth it in my book. plus the ADD axles are bigger (read: stronger) than their manual hub counterpart & swapping them out on the trail can be as quick as 30mins. unless you can find a junkyard taco with oem manual hubs, spindles, shafts, etc for cheap, which id imagine is very unlikely, you're money is best spent elsewhere. like a front arb, some skid plating, better coilovers...etc. the only main advantage IMO is the ability to pull the axle should it break. then again, if you're wheeling where its breaking...you should be carrying spares ;)

BTDT :beer:

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
:withstupid:

the main reason people do it on the tacoma is to save wear on the cv boots if you are running too much lift in the front with the lower control arms in the stock location.

my '04 has about 3 1/2" of lift in the front right now with the cv fins rubbing and i've put about 50,000km on it now without problems.

now that i've said this my cv boot should blow open the next time i drive the truck.

with manual hubs you will not save enough in fuel to pay for the conversion. but manual hubs do look cool.

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i just decided against it.i knew the stock shafts were bigger.i guess the school of thot was not to be turning the CV"S all the time with the increased angle hence the wear on the cv boots and internals.with all the added expense and work maybe staying stock with a moderate lift is essential.or do the SAS instead.as if i dont have enough $ in the other truck.thanks again fellas........keep it coming

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.