BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Actually more and more people are switching to auto trannys. Manuals have the advantage of more precise RPM control and better engine braking, but an auto is much more forgiving for changes in tire size without re-gearing, and the ability of an auto to travel super slow without danger of stalling is a tremendous advantage on dificult terrain.

IMHO for a near-stock rig Auto trannys kick butt.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is personal prefrence-I drive manual,that way I feel more in control,Iam able to rock myself easier,I can control my rpm and I am in charge of my engine speed and I find I use less of my brakes with it. Also I think with a manual tran you are more aware of what your engine and vechile are doing.
Remember it is all about what your comfortable with-I prefer manual but others may not.
Brett
Besides I like the challenge of climbing a steep hill and depending on my skill as a driver!

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

[This message has been edited by TOY CAPTAIN (edited January 10, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have never wheeled with a manual so I can't really compare them, but I am fairly happy with the auto. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to each. My truck is very bouncy and it is nice to not have to worry about a gear shift when you are holding on for dear life bouncing around(there is an inch of padding of the roof
). I have found it to be quite good for going over obstacles. there are only 2 thing I don't really like is it is useless for holding you back going down hill, and first gear isn't quite low enough.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
I also have an automatic in my Ranger, which IMO makes it easier for driving over rough terrain. I can go slow and not have to worry about stalling or burning out the clutch. But like Jarret said, they are pretty much useless when it comes to holding you back going down hill. On the street I prefer a manual over auto, hands down. I have owned three 5L Mustangs in the past and they were all manual, so sometimes when I go to start my truck I end up looking for the clutch pedal for a second until I realize, "oh yeah, this thing's auto. DOH!"

------------------
Leo
'01 Ford Ranger, BFG M/T's, custom dents and westcoast pinstriping, otherwise completely stock.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a fourspeed auto trans in my cherokee
and i have no problem.
when going downhill in low, i can get out and walk beside my truck.climbing on things,
i have no fear of stalling.it's ok for me but
maybe not for others.

cheers: eric

------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
who sez U cannt compression brake in an auto.?? All u do is put it in reverse and feather the gas a little
If u have a trans. temp. guage you can realy get your moneys worth out of it at the same time...LOL
A buddie tried this theory... and after a while it looked like he over heated his rad. Nope, it was a screamin hot tranny.
LOL.
The more expensive the damage....the better the lesson sticks in yer head.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!(or in the bush)LOL.

------------------
'85 BroncoIII

·
Registered
145 Posts
there is nothing wrong with either. they both have there pros and cons. in rockcrawling autos do make it a bit easier to crawl up rocks but if you have geared properly both work well. in mud auto is the only way to go. water, mud and clutch don't mix. the only thing with an auto is that you will spend some serious time and money in a tranny shop making it preform well on the trail. if auto is the route you are going really look into how bomb proof the auto is. the stronger the auto, the longer it will last. also hook its own tranny cooler up to the auto. heat is the #1 killer in autos. i have a manual and my brother has an auto, and he has put some serious money into his tranny to make it perform on the rocks. also don't put to low of gears when running an auto, because the torque converter basicly doubler. hope this helps.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by creeper:
also don't put to low of gears when running an auto, because the torque converter basicly doubler. hope this helps.
I was wondering about that myself prior to installing the 4:1 gears in the transfer case. Since then, I have come to the conclusion that running the same low gears as a manual is a good thing, mostly because it provides excellent engine braking.

Look at it this way: an auto tranny's 1st ratio, combined with the 2:1 reduction effect you get from the TC is _similar_ to the gear ratio you'd get from the first gear in an average manual transmission. So any changes to the diff gears or tcase gears would have roughly the same effect. The main difference is that when compression braking, the manual will still go slower than the auto (since the 2:1 reduction is no longer there...it becomes more like 1:2).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
616 Posts
Lars is right about the TC acting like 2:1 or even 3:1 depending on how loose it is; but once the rpm's come up the TC's impeller and stator will couple -- that is your 2:1 is gone and you are turning at the true ratio of the gear you are in. Personally I run an auto but I have 7000lbs of diesel fullsize to maneuver.

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, "Offroad Package"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok I'm still a newbie but my take is that it's easier for us with an auto. I have a manual and it's a beep to stall while feathering the clutch going up a hill. It's also painful to sense that burn clutch smell.

OTOH it great for going down steep runs.

That being said I think my next 4 X 4 with be an auto.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My truck doesn't stall very easily - i have about 3 seconds to hit the clutch before it stalls. The way I see it all the professional vehicles from Nascar to big rigs are all manual so why the hell not me too!

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
For someone new to the sport,like me, an auto is probably better/more enjoyable. You can have mre fun going over stuff and learning how to go over stuff rather than play with the clutch and gears.

PS My car is a manual and I would never buy anything else for the street.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is a great topic. I had travelled down to North Carolina last year to participate in a 4 by Jamboree. Without even thinking about this, I was the only guy there with a 5 speed (I think) while the rest ran auto. For me it's no big deal as I have known nothing other than a clutch my whole life, so the trail riding, and some rock crawling I did was no big deal in my mind. Though my left foot was sure tired after a days worth of wheeling. I spent a lot of time just watching some of the more experienced drivers do some trick wheeling, and have come to see what the real advantage is of an auto over a manual when it comes to that type of wheeling. I can't say that I would get up and trade my truck in for that reason at this point, but it would definitely be something that I consider over a manual on my next buy.

------------------
Pi$$ on the ceiling... Any ******* can Pi$$ on the floor.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have owned and wheeled with 2 Ford F250s in the last couple of years. For me the std is the way to go. Most of the trails in BC consist of coming down a mountain at one time or another. Using the holdback of a std. is a safer thing for me. Not having to use brakes all the time keeping control of the vehicle.
The first Ford with the auto, a couple of times I would have to stop and let the braks cool after decending some hills.
Use a std and lower the gears in your axles.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
can you imagine what it is like for me on those hills? I have an auto and drum brakes on all 4.

That is the only drawback to an auto if you ask me. My tranny cooler is almost as big as my rad so heat isn't a prob. I just put it in 4 lo when I am going down steep stuff and it holds back pretty good.

------------------

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would say the decision should be made on what type of vehicle u get or are lookin at gettin. If a manual look at the gear ratios. some trannies sre great for the bush and HORRIBLE for the highway. Like my manual tranny in my 81 chev. It has great gears for crawlin in the bush but on the highway you rpm are through the roof. So I guess it also depends on how much wheeling you plan to do

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have an automatic and wouldnt trade it for anything, if its built right, and you keep it cool it'll perform way better than a standard(IMO), and I get pretty good compression braking out of mine(in 1st gear low range). I have a 4 speed in my car but I'll stick with my auto in my truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 79 Scout has the 727 auto tranny. I always engine break heading down the mtns. Just need to put it in 4LO. In low it is almost like having a manual tranny. it shifts right on que. Generally I use 2nd on the steeper corners and slip it into drive coast along the straighter parts.

Going up long hills. Well I've been in two near roll overs with friends with standards. Pick too low a gear and they power out. I'ts along ways down in reverse. Always a sense of thankfulness when the auto kicks down and pulls you the last 100 feet up the hill.
For off roading you need to set the auto tranny up so it wont't kick down easily.(too much power to the wheels)too soon or easily and you wind up with wheel spin. Basicly I found that when its set up right for wheelin it won't kick down for passing on the highway, wich is how It is normally set up for cars etc.
Since I put the bigger tires on I pretty much need to have it in 4low for hill climbing. 354 gears. but my friend with 375 or something gears still uses 4high cept for the really harsh stuff. Put his motor is reving pretty high even with 35's on it when he's on the highway.

------------------
http://profiles.yahoo.com/gsw_can

[This message has been edited by Sid the Squid (edited February 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Sid the Squid (edited February 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Isn't that a good quality about a Ford slush box, you stick it in second and it stays in second even after coming to a complete stop it will stay in second.

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts