BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any sugestions as to what i could swap out for my 5 speed tranny ? Its in a 1989 F150 4x4. From what iv been told this particular tranny it a lightweight and has a knowen problem with the main input gear and reverse gears..
I have a line on a few 4 speed trannys + Transfer case for cheep out of a 1980 - 85 truck ???

Personally i dont care about the overdrive i dont do much highway driving

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Borg-Warner T-18 is an excellent tranny and it bolts right up to the bullit proof New Process 205.
I believe the T-18 should bolt up to all the engines pre 97, but I could be wrong, I own a Jeep (don't hate me for it-I needed a convertable and FI and doing an EB was not an option
)
I had a T-18 in my dad's '71 F-250 and it shifted alot smoother and faster than my current AX15
I am sure the other guys here can help you out with some more suggestions.

Wes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Indeed... The T-18 (4-speed, no O/D) is bomb-proof - I've got one mated up to a 390 in my truck, and it's never complained. The ultra-low first gear is also a big plus for 'wheeling, although it's next to useless in city driving..

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
t-18 is fine, or NP435 is fine. I've had both apart, they are virtually identical internals, bulletproof. I like the 435 best myself just because I have more than one of them, just in case.

Dan.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a few more questions on the subject. if i get matching tranny and transfer case and swap will i need to do anything with the drive shafts iv been getting mixed answers on this one .. also will my hydralic clutch work with this set up iv been told it will but just want to make sure .

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not possible to mesure drive shafts the tranny and ransfercase are already out of the truck and no driveshafts in sight. I guess il have to make a trip to the scrap yard and find another truck with teh same and take my mesurements from their. The clutch line can be removed with a special tool ... the same tool used for disconecting the gas lines just takes a little time to get it apart

·
Registered
167 Posts
one of the 2 ford 4spd's <I have both t18 and np435 but not shure wich is wich> Likes to eat syncros my 80 F250 4spd/203 is on its 4th third gear syncro and now needs 3rd and 2nd gears. the other one just gets stuck in second if you rev it up and try to make the shift <trany not previously driven by me came on parts truck atached to t-case that I needed so I swaped both what a mistake>

·
Registered
382 Posts
The easy way to tell the 435 from the t18 is that the 435 has an aluminum top cover and it leals 90w from around the shifter.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisOlson:
The easy way to tell the 435 from the t18 is that the 435 has an aluminum top cover and it leals 90w from around the shifter.

Also somewhere on the body or the top cover you will see an embossed "NP" on it if it is a NP435 tranny.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like im going to keep the original 5 speed. Seems to be to many diffrent ideas on what will work and what wont and no to are the same.. Since its my daily driver i need to get the tranny out and in in a day. So i dont want to be stuck in a spot were i need something to make the other 4 speed fit.. Now i just need to find a tranny for less then $1200 from the auto wreckers. This is highway robbery friggen tranny will be worth more than i payed for the truck ..
Thanks for all the imput

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What tranny have you got? Many F150's came with some gawd-awful Mazda-built tranny.

The ZF 5-speed found behind 351 Windors are pretty good. Most will take 200,000km before the syncros get tired. Actually, I do believe the ZF is the only 5-speed in F250 and F350 trucks. Therefore, one from even an inline-6 or 5.0L should work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts