BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to swap to a hydro(external slave) clutch setup from a mechanical setup. what needs to be swapped out. I have a 81 bronco with mechanical clutch and a 84 bronco with the hydro setup (external). I want to try and keep my cast iron bellhousing but will swap if nescesary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the only way`s to convert are 1 getting a newer (hydraulic clutch) style pedal assembly and custom rigging a universal slave cylender or mabey a factory ford external slave cylender to your existing bellhousing, and you will keep your relese fork too, all ford light dutie pickups use the same clutch master and the external slaves may be different apperance but are of the same bore size and stroke, so just pick one that fits your mods,,, you can swap to the same tranny as your 84 but again you need the pedal assembly, and finaly you can swap to a 5 speed M5R2 with internal slave, ZF5 with internal slave, but with both of those trannys you need the pedal assembly

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 351 v8 9`` Rear (full width)Dana 44 front(full width) Spooled front and rear, 4 corners on coils, undetermined lift height, Will roll on 35x16 Boggers

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh by the way does your 84 have a big block in it , as far as I know the only fords with an external slave are big blocks with a T18 or T19 tranny and ZF5`s , ZF6`s, all other hydro clutches were small block internal slaves, there for swapping to the 84 tranny isnt possible without an engine swap too

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 351 v8 9`` Rear (full width)Dana 44 front(full width) Spooled front and rear, 4 corners on coils, undetermined lift height, Will roll on 35x16 Boggers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope it's external, 300-6/NP435/NP208 ... the truck I wanna swap into is a 300-6/NP435/NP208 so they are basically the same axcept one is hydro (84) and the other is mechaical (81)

·
Registered
15 Posts
you need to us the bellhousing, all linkage and the pedal from the 84.should bolt right in.i used this swap in my 73 bronco and only had to cut a hole in firewall for pedal to clutch m/c linkage.

------------------
74 bronco,73 bronco,89 f250,89 dakota

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.