BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you find maps of Lower Mainland that are topo with grid squares generally a square represents 1 square KM in either 1:25 000 or 1:50 000 ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am not poitive of the name but it is on the east side of granville across from Eatons.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A grid with 1 km gridline intervals is the UTM (universal transverse mecator (sp?)) grid. You can get standard government topos with this grid around the outside border. You just have to pencil in the lines if you want. Or go to a company like mine, McElhanney, and get them to throw the UTM grid on their in house topos. I'm not sure whats its like down there but here our in house topos are way more detailed and better updated than the gov ones. UTM is used by military, SAR, Forestry and I think lots other gov agencies. Its an easy a handy grid/co-ordinate system to use.

Corey

Edit: I need to proofread/spell better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'80Toad said:
A grid with 1 km gridline intervals is the UTM (universal transverse mecator (sp?)) grid. You can get standard government topos with this grid around the outside border. You just have to pencil in the lines if you want. Or go to a company like mine, McElhanney, and get them to throw the UTM grid on their in house topos. I'm not sure whats its like down there but here our in house topos are way more detailed and better updated than the gov ones. UTM is used by military, SAR, Forestry and I think lots other gov agencies. Its an easy a handy grid/co-ordinate system to use.

Corey

Edit: I need to proofread/spell better.
Yup shoulda kept those ones I had in the CF. Your company have an email?

·
Registered
92 Posts
swamp monster said:
Yup shoulda kept those ones I had in the CF. Your company have an email?

Yep but my office is way up in north eastern BC. Where are you at?
I'd rather point you to a more local office for you although I'm not entirely sure what each office can offer you.

http://www.mcelhanney.com/

Thats the web page. From there you can get branch office emails or check out the types of mapping we offer.

My work email is [email protected] if you have more questions I might be able to help with.

Corey

·
Registered
34 Posts
1 to 50 Topos

I have aprox 15 surplus topos maybe more. A friend moved back east and I bought his map collection. Mostly north shore to Whistler area but some Merrit and Harrison also. 5$ ea. Most have been folded.
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts

I obtained a DND 1:50,000 topo from Vedder Mountain Field Supplies located north of the Vedder Bridge (5446 Vedder Road, Chilliwack, BC V2R 3M6 Telephone 604-858-4083).

What's different about this topo is that it covers about 1/3 from the adjoining maps. As you can see from my diagram, this is useful because of where our cabin is (marked with 'PC' on the map).

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can order 1:20,000 maps from the BC government agents office. These are TRIM (terrain resource information management). These have great detail, but no grid lines, so if you want to navigate or plot positions with a GPS you'll need to draw them in yourself. Softcopies are available, but they're expensive, around $600 per sheet!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
www.cloverpoint.com hey guys I found out this is the only place in BC that sells grid-ref style topo maps 1:20000 if you've never used a military style map, when you do you'll notice they are extremely well suited for wheeling hiking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.