BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silverback
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I have a YJ. What is everyone's opinions for a rear axle. Dana 60, 12 bolt, 14 bolt, 9 inch, what? I'm not too worried about which one is the easiest to throw under, I'd rather know which one you guys like in terms of strength, which ones to avoid, etc. I've read lots about this in the mags and all over the web, just wanna know some personal preferences. Thanks, again!

------------------
-'95 YJ

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Dana 60. Good balance between strength, ground clearance and weight. 14-bolt is over-kill plus it'd be a pretty tight fit to get those massive drums close enough to your leaf pack so that the wheels didn't stick out too much. 14-bolt also weighs a LOT.

If this is a bush-only rig, I'd also consider 'Mog axles that Ryeguy's company is going to be building. They should have a website up pretty soon. Right now he's got a set of his axles on his Blazer. I'll be doing an article on it pretty soon, too.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Mog Axles? Did I here that right?

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like the Ford 9". With 31-spline factory shafts, it's a great combination of strength and light weight. Tons of aftermarket support, and one of the easiest axles around to set up and service.

The only downside is (of course) the low pinion. That hasn't been enough to stop a lot of guys (including yours truly) from running it, though.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by desteurm:
Mog Axles? Did I here that right?
Yup, 'Mog axles on a Blazer. Ryeguy sent me a pic of his Blazer straddling a highway median...lengthwise. <g> His company has done some very unique modifications to the Unimog axles and the swapped-in drivetrain parts to yield a rather unique 4x4 that works surprising well on the highway and extremely well off-road.

As I mentioned, we'll have an article about it pretty soon.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Silverback
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning towards d60 rear. I thought the 14bolt would be a bit much
but it would be pretty cool and bombproof! Too much for me though.

------------------
-'95 YJ

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
the 3/4 ton landcruiser axles are stronger than a D60 plus they have third members for easy set up. the only downfall is the offset pumpkin.

I am going to run my 9" until she grenades! Destructive testing rules!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
145 Posts
well i just finished shaving and trussing my brothers full width 14bolt that will be going under his cj in about a month. has almost as much clearance as a d44. not bad. the 14bolt is a great axle if you shave it and don't mind the weight. there a dime a dozen and cheaper than a d60 rear. if your going to have big tires, power and love the rocks like we do, i would suggest the 14bolt. give it to me and i'll shave it and truss it up.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am running a Ford 8.8 out of 97 Explorer. It came stock with 4:10 gears, disc brakes and limited slip, 31 spline and it the right width for a YJ. I have had no problems with it at all. My friend also runs that right now with a detroit and 38.5's and has no problems either.

------------------
87 YJ, MPI kit, SOA, 35 ssr's, 8.8 yada yada
http://home.off-road.com/~rockbuggy/index.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts