BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 2.8 bolt into a 2.3's old home? It has a toyo kogyo 4spd. I'm wondering about bellhousing, input shaft and so on.Thanx

------------------
88 Ranger 4inch sup lift 3 inch body swaped in 4.0 8.8 rear dana 35 up front 33 12.50 swampers

·
Registered
898 Posts
It will easily bolt in place of the 2.3...HOWEVER...

I am 96% sure the bellhousing is different from the 2.3 to the 2.8 Best would be to grab the tranny that was hooked to the 2.8 if possible

Once the engine is in, you will then need to wire up the ignition. You have a couple options... 1) Wire in the complete TFI/EEC-IV ignition computer, harness, wiring, electronic sensors, etc. (I would highly NOT!! recommend bothering with that!!) or 2) Find a Pinto, Mustang II, Capri, etc. that has a 2.8, and yard out the simpler Duraspark II ingition box, the distributor, and the carb.
The Duraspark ignition is easier to swap in, is WAY more reliable, and is a lot easier to work with overall. Its also a lot cheaper to fix on the trail (I bet Lars remembers when my TFI module blew out at Harrison. It fed back and blew the coil, and damaged the EEC-IV module as well. REALLY hard to diagnose with limited parts and tools...) I now have the Duraspark distributor and an MSD-6A, and I'm much happier!

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by ANGER ranger w\ attitude:
Will a 2.8 bolt into a 2.3's old home? It has a toyo kogyo 4spd. I'm wondering about bellhousing, input shaft and so on.Thanx
I believe you can swap just the bellhousing, but they have different gear ratios too. The 4cyl one is probably not as strong, having deeper gears. the TK's hold up reasonably well tho, so unless you plan to murder it, it will likely live. Measure the bellhousings to be sure about relative depth, I *think* they have the same input spline, but check a clutch catalog (such as http:www.centerforce.com ) to be sure.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
26 Posts
so minimal problems with the bellhousing and wiring?...im doing the same conversion, i have access to the bellhousing from the 2.8...and im sure ill find the ignition?..., you say as long as i dont beat it the toyo will hold?....how far would you consider murdering?

------------------
Randy "Memphis" Ranger
I wasn't STUCK!!!!!!...I was TRACTIONALLY CHALLENGED

·
Registered
26 Posts
so minimal problems with the bellhousing and wiring?...im doing the same conversion, i have access to the bellhousing from the 2.8...and im sure ill find the ignition?..., you say as long as i dont beat it the toyo will hold?....how far would you consider murdering?

------------------
Randy "Memphis" Ranger

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by RandyRanger:
Well, my TK 5spd didn't puke behind the 2.3 turbo with over 200 HP. I was not gentle with it. Treat it like you want it to live, and it should. I'd test fit everything before jumping in with both feet tho, as what (fittment) I've related IS jsut heresay, even tho I've heard it repeatedly.

------------------

·
Registered
898 Posts
The T/K 5-speed seems pretty tough to me. Mine has been rebuilt (leaked fluid and welded a bearing), but has held up very well since, including an extended run in 5th gear in 2wd low range at 70+ km/h...

Keep in mind that the T/K was also used in the Turbo RX-7's :)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice, well, I think im gonna have a go at it...im sure you guys will here from me with frantic questions in a few weeks, thanks for the help.

RandyRanger

------------------
Randy "Memphis" Ranger

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Blue coyote:

Keep in mind that the T/K was also used in the Turbo RX-7's :)
Which have substantially less torque than the average sewing machine. A Heavy 4x4 is a completely different barrel of monkeys.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts