BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Lars isn't too keen on bashing, but I feel the need to give a heads-up on this.

A couple years ago California Tops in Edmonton had a lot of problems with stuff not getting shipped and the owner freaking out over people when they tried to get a straight answer. I thought they had their problems solved, but when a Jeeper on the ILJ forum called to cancel an order that was a month late the guy at Cal Tops didn't try to discuss it or track the order, he just flipped :

"He (California Tops) then says he sent the soundbar and I am trying to rip him off. He also goes on to say he has opened a case with the Colorado police to have me arrested. And he is sending someone over to my house to take care of me.
So after I call his bluff, he apologies and says he is not pressing charges etc.."

This is not the first time someone who has had a problem with California Tops has received this type of response.

Too bad, because they really do make some great products, but I will not deal with anyone who makes threats for no reason.

·
Registered
192 Posts
NO BASHING!

heh.

I bought a top and seat covers used that they made and the only time I called them was to see what they would recommend for velcro (for the rear window). All he said was "What's your address?" and he sent me a package with a new velcro strip, brochures(of course) and a letter asking what size my spare was so he could mail me out a spare tire cover. For not spending any money, they sure treated me well.
(Why are they called 'California Tops'? was 'Alberta Tops' allready taken? :D )

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, 90% of people have no problems, but the 10% who have something go wrong seem to get treated like dirt.
This is the first problem I have heard of in a while, but considering their history once is too often in my books.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"but when a Jeeper on the ILJ forum"

So this didn't happen to you? This is just second hand info? How do you know FOR SURE that it happened?

There was a lot of BS on Sheeps Unlimited about Ca Tops, but it was mostly related to people jumping on the bash-em bandwagon. EVERYONE I know and myself personally have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newfie said:
"So this didn't happen to you? This is just second hand info? How do you know FOR SURE that it happened?
No it did not hapen to me.
The person who posted the info only posted it after being asked specifically to say why he ended up with a different brand after he stated he was buying Cal Tops, he is new to Jeeps and has not been in the forums long enough to have seen previous negative posts, and it is the exact same type of treatment that a number of other Jeepers, including a couple of lurkers on this board, have recieved in the past.

NO company can make everyone happy. Screw ups happen and mistakes are made. I was told that the last big round of problems with Cal Tops were related to personal problems the owner had, and a person who Lurks here had said that the problems were over and this kind of treatment of customers would not happen again. Now it seems to be happening again.

I'm not saying that they are intentionally out to screw anyone, just that the owner seems to have an anger mangament problem and fellow Jeepers need to know that if they are going to choose to deal with him.
I will not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
haha Chris,
I read the post onthe ilj forum, and I think you just feel bad because you're the one who recommended caltops in the first place :******* :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rude said:
haha Chris,
I read the post onthe ilj forum, and I think you just feel bad because you're the one who recommended caltops in the first place :******* :D
I also was one of the ones who was in favor of giving them another chance once we had been told that the owner had been having serious problems in his personal life and that he had changed his ways.

I really like Cal Tops stuff, and like I said most customers seem to get good service now, but this appears to show that this will be an ongoing problem. Not as bit a problem as before, but still a problem.

If you like Cal Tops stuff you may want to deal with a sales agent instead of the main store.

Anyone alse who has had recent great customer service please post. I'd be happy to hear that this was a one time only incident.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've heard too much about these guys :(

Have you seen the new seat covers? If someone could post a pic of them, I hear they're AMAZING!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check the new Can4x4 mag or maybe someone can scan the advertisement in. They had a 1/3 page ad that features the new covers. I have the brochure for them, but I don't have a scanner. They do look kick-ass. (the seat covers on the website are their old-style)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Damn those are beauties!

Is that bjotf's rig? Looks like his TSL's, red jeep and red grab handles...

·
Registered
344 Posts
yup that's black jeep of the family's rig..it's sweet..those seat covers are sweet...mind u they discontinued the jeep logo on them, not sure what they changed it too...

i would love to buy some stuff from cal-tops but i just heard too many stories...i will wait till i head over there or maybe have a buddy p\u some stuff from there store for me and ship it home...

allan

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
C.A.M.E.R.O.N said:
those look sweet.....wonder what they go for???...oh btw..nice jeep..:)
Something like $250.00 a pair.

The Jeep logo was never "officially" available due to trademark violation.
BJOTF asked for his seat covers to have "peeJ" spelled backwards :D
He likes the seat covers so much he is thinking of buying seat covers to protect his seat covers. :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
250..:eek: ..geez....u can get hotweels one's for like $100 pair....
oh well...maybee after i do all my functional mods, i can get a pair of those..oh btw....you have a full pic of that jeep?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Chris S said:
This is the rig I that I will "copycat" with my Rubicon, just with 33s not 36s.
That WAS the rig I was looking for insight from originally, but as of now, I'm slowly (because money doesn't grow on trees :( ) working towards this one, but shorter:

He runs 37's on there, but I plan on keeping my springs and running 35's. The owner feels that his jeep has lost some of its ability to crawl due to its height, but all in all, it's the greatest TJ I've seen.

Read more at Beast40.com

TRIANGULATED REAR SUSPENSION! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Newfie said:
"but when a Jeeper on the ILJ forum"

So this didn't happen to you? This is just second hand info? How do you know FOR SURE that it happened?

There was a lot of BS on Sheeps Unlimited about Ca Tops, but it was mostly related to people jumping on the bash-em bandwagon. EVERYONE I know and myself personally have never had a problem with them.

I have first hand knowledge of Cal Tops treatment. Check out this http://jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/001854.html.

It's interesting reading. And I have other e-mails from this guy that are way off the deep end.

He won't change...you are taking a chance on if you have a problem how he feels like handling it that day. You are defitnately rolling the dice with him and since most of us Jeepers don't have money to throw away I would recommend staying away from a guy who has shown an numerous occassions what his customer service is like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hotwheels seet covers at canada tire...work great.....yea that a nice jeep...but i all ready got one to " model" mine after....:) it has boggers.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts