BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I havn't been on here for a long time, mostly because I've been busy at school. Sad to say, its not good news.

My motor started making a loud ticking, usually associated with valves. Today I pulled the vavle cover and checked everything. It all looks fine to me, I did the rotation and it rotates smoothly, and the clearances are fine on both the intake and exhaust valves. The cams looks fine, all the rollers are smooth, the head bolts are all tight, and all the rockers look good.

I had the head rebuilt be heads unlimited in the summer, so I don't think its the head. The plugs all look good, and the compression is good.

Power is down when I step on it, but it idles fine, and steady, albeit loudly.

Is there any way to tell if a vavle is hanging open or sticking from looking at the top of the head? I figured I'd see it by rotating the crankshaft, but maybe I'm wrong. Could a bent or broken connecting rod cause this noise? I thought that would more or less kill the engine though, and it still runs.

Another thing to note, whenever I used to start it up, I'd get a very minor itteration of the same type of sound, just for 1-2 sec until the oil (i guess?) got to the top end. Now its like that sound doesn't stop. Maybe an oil pump? There was oil up top, and everything looks lubed though.

So, I need your guys help again with suggestions of what this noise may be. I've taken the head off this thing 3 times this year, and I'm not looking forward to starting off the new year doing it again.

Also, if anyone is doing a SAS in the near future (now to 3 months), I would be very interested in buying/trading stuff for your IFS steering components (not the pitman arm). I am in desperate need of an idler, both steering arms/knuckels, and all the connecting rods for the steering. I have some parts, some steel and a bender, so I'd like to try and save myself some money by partial trades if I can.

Thanks for any help.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your plastic guides on the timing chain are probably toast. The reason it probably ticks when you first fire it up is because the hydraulic tensioner is just tightening up. The rattling is the chain. Don't leave this too long cause it'll wear a hole right through the case and then it'll be hell. And if/when you do the repair you don't need to take the head off eventhough and the books and toyota will tell you you have to. It takes a while to fix the first time, but it's good learning experience. Make sure you buy good parts and get a new tensioner, guides, chain, gear etc. You might even want to consider buying metal guides, there's a company in the states that makes em. This is a common problem with 4 cyls.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thinkin', but I already have metal guides, and they were new when the head got fixed in the summer. I;m going to take a look at that now anyway.

Thanks

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If the valve clearance is correct and the cam looks ok......it's probably not valve noise.
If a valve wasn't opening or closing you'd know it by now.
Check for a flat spot on the cam, this can make the noise you describe.
I,ve seen some awfully loud toyota injectors, TICK,TICK,TICK, and this sounds a lot like valve noise.
A bent or broken rod won't make a tick, so I wouldn't wory about that.
Mechanical pumps can tick, but you have an electric one, distributor drives can make noise, but it's not a ticking sound.
Do a compression test,this will give you an idea of where to start.
I'd check the valve springs again to make sure though.
Some toyota four's make a loud ticking ,knocking sound upon start up and do so until warm. When I've had these motors apart the pistons had a bit to much clearance for my liking but still were within spec.They were noisy until warm.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now, hmmmmmm second guess would be a faulty hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Injectors wearing out maybe? I have heard they can make quite a loud ticking when wearing out. Another thing is what kind of oil filter you use. I have read about a good filter having a check valve not letting all the oil drain back to the pan so you get oil up faster. Well those are my guesses, when are you coming for a run up to Hut?

Mike.

------------------
May sell my 85 Flat deck truck, email for details.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does the the same thing as what you described, I know for sure it is the con rod bearing's (on mine) I tore the bottom apart and thats what it was, sounded kinda like a deisel, quick fix new bearings $50 which I did now in the process of complete rebuild the bearings are worn again after 1500km, good luck hopefully yours isnt as mojor.

------------------
84 4runner 4"susp, 3"body, 35"m/ts, header with flow master containing a few patches, a little duct tape here and there,cb, in need of motor and body work

·
1,269 Posts
Sounds like my truck. Almost diesely, rattling clacking noises. This is caused by the timing chain guides/tensioner. Pull the timing cover and check it all out when you pull the head. Also, I am doing a SAS in the new year and will have an entire front end minus the lift components, so that means whatever steering I don't re-use (shouldn't be much as I'm going Hy-steer) is yours.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you check your lifters?

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Had ticking noise and spun a crank bearing might be something to check.

------------------
86 4-runner 305,TH350,203,threelink front,6inch skyjacker rear.5.29s,lockers and more to come if I can save the money

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Bad Pete:

That's excellent news. I'll be keeping in touch with you if you send me an email at my this address [email protected]

For everyone else, thanks for the tips. To further the description, I understand the ticking sound you guys all have described on startup, I too used to get that sound, it was a mild ticking and went away within 10 seconds. This noise came abruptly, and it is very very loud. Like hammering the vavle cover loud. When I opened the hood it was louder than my running engine and exhaust leak.

I had the injectors recleaned, and two got new tips in the summer. The whole engine is new, the block got re honed, all new pistons, rebuilt head with new valves/guides and springs.

I think the major worry that it isn't something like the timing chain tensioner is the power loss associated with it. Its quite gutless now. You can step on it and it just chugs along.

I think tomorrow I'm going to have to pull the head off and take a close look.

Thanks very much.

Ryan

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Here's a thought, STOP DRIVING IT!
Have you prepared yourself for the possibility that you could've thrown a connecting rod and perhaps melted a piston? PS: you've got mail

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited December 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey ryan-this is Brett the guy you traded tires with. Just wondering how they are working out for you and if you ever figured out your engine problem?
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tires are great Brett. Certainly much quiter and better on gas.

The truck goes in on Sunday to the school after I'm done exams so I can take a look at it. The noise is now coming and going so I think it might be the timing tensioner.

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the head off today (only takes me 45 min now). The head was just rebuilt, and all the valves look fine. No scoring, or anything. It defenitly looks like the No2 cylinder ones are sticking though. The rollers look like they've been hammered by a sticking valve coming up and hitting the tappet. The head treatment is worn away on those two. I'm sending it back to Heads Unlimited to get them to redo it again.

Well at least it will have a fresh Head Gasket and head for when I sell it!

I also discovered I had quite a bad exhaust leak, so I'll get to fix that up too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ryankenn (edited January 14, 2002).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts