BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mounting a swing away tire carrier from a 90 to and 86?

Hey just wondering if any one has ever thought of or attempted mounting one of those cool swing away tire carrier from and 90 hard top 4 runner on to a the older 86 style removable top runner. Just wondering how you would reinforce the corner by the taillight to be able to bolt on the carrier??

And any other thoughts about a tire carrier that is relatively easy to build and that would some how attach to smitty built rear tube bumper??
:cool:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There is a support beam inside the body. The carrier bolts to this beam, not the body. You will need to buy the proper support from Toyota and have it welded in. If you just try to bolt the thing to the body panel you wont be able to carry anything larger than a go kart tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh support bar eh I was thiniking there had to be something, yea I wasen't about to go and bolt that thing on just as is anyway . I think its alittel to much work anyway I mean just because I have some rust or well okay alot of rust so it itsen't that stable to begin with. I think I'm going to have to think of some thing else..

·
Registered
100 Posts
The swing away spare tire carrier has got to be one of the worst designs for a spare tire carrier anyway. If you ever slid backwards into something, got rearended, or even just backed up into something in the dark, it could dent the tailgate pretty bad. Plus every time you open it you have to watch that it doesn't swing out too hard. IMO.. it's a major design flaw.

Who really wants to see the spare anyway.... much better to have that thing hidden under the car, (or inside if it's oversized). It may take up more room but it's way less hassle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey westonian, you'll have to check out my new tire carrier I just fabbed up. Works great.
The only problem is have to fab up a new bumper that I nearly ripped off on the weekend at the clean up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I don't know I'd rather have a tire carrier on the back then having it under the vehicle and don't really want it inside either. but yea KillerBugs I'll have to check yours out, I'm thinking I'm going to have to fab up a new bumber as well to make anything work..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts