BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot of bad PR about doing this with multiple tubed shocks. I am going to be getting a pair of RS9000's for the front and I want to mount them upside down so it will be a snap to adjust. I see MANY rigs doing this with these shocks but have heard and read lots of aritcles saying it is real bad. If it is so bad then why is everyone doing it?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you mount a dual-tube shock like an RS9000 upside down the gas will cavitate in the wrong end of the shock, creating crappy damping and rebound, sport bike guys learned this years ago.
Not a thing wrong with mounting mono-tube shocks upside down though.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
With all the connections on the internet these days, why not go the the shock manufacturer's web site and ask them what they think of the idea?

Since they build them, they would know what was wrong, if anything, about mounting them upside down.

[This message has been edited by skidmark (edited December 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think I know why it is a bad idea. They pretty much say the same thing as dp has said. I am just concerned because if it was SO critical to mount them correctly then why does nearly every solid axel toyota truck have them mounted upside down. Look through mags, videos and internet sites and they will be all over the place. And yes they are RS9000. They all have the little knob facing out. If it was so bad then no one would do it...right?

So I guess what I am wondering is, has anyone suffered massive failures or accelerated wear as a result of this?

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I have heard that you aren't suppose to mount the Rancho 9000's upside down too. I had them upside down on the front of my old toy for about 2 yrs with no problems though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is right from Rancho's site, under FAQ's.
1. Can I mount the RS9000 upside down?

The RS9000 are designed to operate in either direction. In most applications the position of the shock is determined by the vehicles mounting configurations. Rancho does not recommend nor warrant the use of shocks that are not specifically listed for your vehicle in the Rancho catalog.

------------------
A nonsmokin' 81 powered
83 longbox.
Pole vault over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts