BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this question has been answered before but i couldn't get a firm answer through searching so i'll ask anyway. what is the legal size and location of mud flaps, ie how wide and low must they be? thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The regs are really not that specific:

Mudguards

7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Mudflaps—A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.

The inspection manual that the facilities use does specify the length. If I recall correctly, if you were to place a straight edge between the back of the tire tread at the ground and the bottom of the bumper at the rear, the flap must hang down at least to the straight edge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So are you saying they have to be no more than the width of a ruler off the ground?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
No, because the straight edge will be at an angle between the ground and the bumper. Depending on how far back from the tire the mudflat is, the less long it will have to be. However, it can't be so short that it doesn't do the job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info skidmark, guess i will just hang some big ugly ones to be on the safe side :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
get some big nice looking ones! If your truck is high enough, go to your local Kenworth/Western Star/Your favorite truck shop and buy some semi mudflaps with "CAT" or something similar on them! They look sweet on jacked up trucks :cool:

:*******

·
Registered
508 Posts
so your saying taht every truck has to have mud flaps on it
:confused: coz mine doesnt and ive only been pulld over for having my fender flairs cut

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Schedule to Divison 7: Mudflaps—A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts