BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are some pics from my first 2 fab projects:

Rock sliders are 1.25" square tube 0.125" wall. Rear bumper is 2" square 0.188" wall (and 1" square 0.1 or 0.12 wall)

As for the rear bumper, I planned to have attachments from the side to the frame, I just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
customtoyz said:
nice job but they look like if u slide on to them or bump into them they would bash into your body panels?
Not sure what you're talking about?

The sliders are meant to flex up ~1/4" then they will contact the body seam and then weight is distributed along the seam by the second full length tube.

The bumper will have side mounts going to the frame. The sliders and bumper are meant to protect the panels, I fail to see how they would bash them... Maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I like the rear corners! Nice job!

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to nerf style rockers, but what thickness did you use? Do you think the three frame tie-ins will be enough to keep the bars off your body?

When are you going to weld up the exo?!?!?! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's why three legs to the frame are enough.

1. Legs welded to quarter inch plate and then welded to frame
2. Triangle gussets used on legs to make them even stronger.

My rock sliders are about 1/2 an inch from the body and they barely move with these mods.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Baby Joe said:
I like the rear corners! Nice job!

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to nerf style rockers, but what thickness did you use? Do you think the three frame tie-ins will be enough to keep the bars off your body?

When are you going to weld up the exo?!?!?! :D
0.125" wall ( 1/8" )...

I have seen several designs with 3 tie-ins... that seems to work really well.

I took some 3"x3" 3/8" angle iron, cute 3" sections of it and welded them to the frame, then the sliders were welded to that. The angle iron was welded to the frame in an upside-down "L" and the slider bars tuck up underneath.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good job looks clean on the truck. I've got a concern though. Has anyone else got a problem with welding to the frame?? If you go over the frames of most vehicles you usually see connections made with rivets or bolts. They do this for a reason. The frame rails are not normally made from mild steel, they are made from a low carbon content carbon steel. The carbon gives the frame more strength and flexibility. Carbon steel is heat treated to give it that strength and flexibility. If you weld on this material you remove the heat treatment at the area of the weld. This causes some pretty serious weak spots around the welds which will, over time develop cracks and eventual fractures. I know from my own experience that trucks, especially rock climbers, submit thier frames to some pretty serious twisting forces and if the frame cracks or breaks your truck is scrap.

Just some food for thought.................

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.