BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have some spare time today, hanging out with my youngest, so i thought i would post up my project.
it is a 1978 Ford Bronco and it is getting a 92 rotary pump Cummins.

before- with the brand new built 460 and C-6

out with the old

and in with the new

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so my plan was originally to use the dodge overdrive auto and a Np 241 transfercase, but after getting some mock up pieces i found out that the combo, especially with the slip yolk on the transfer case, was way to long. so luckily i found an adaptor to use a ZF-5 transmission and then i could use my NP 205 transfer case.
Thanks Mr. Bob!!

so it came with a ceramic Southbend clutch and flywheel and the starter. it ended up being almost 16 inches shorter in overall length and it made the parts interchange much easier.

· Registered
118 Posts
Sweet project. Did you have to do any work to the frame for the added weight?

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it is a work in progress but no i didn't beef up the frame, it is already boxed in the front and i plan on adding a cross member for the tranny so i think it will be ok

· Registered
118 Posts
Right on. I remember my buddy boxing his frame too, for the big block ford. And what about that BBF of yours...stuffing it into your wife's Explorer?

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont think i haven't thought about it!!
but that explorer has a brand new rebuilt 4.0 in it.
if i had known what it was going to cost to rebuild that v-6 i definately would have gone small block, oh well, live and learn.
don't actually know what i am going to do with the 460 yet.

· Registered
100 Posts
Awesome swap, especially not running the a518 the stock converters are useless in them. I don't think that cummins actually weighs much more than that big block with iron heads and intake.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well just a quick up date

got the clutch master figured out, should work just fine

bolted up the turbo and exhaust brake and got the manifold drilled and tapped for the pyro probe

its a tight fit but should be ok

found out i have a bit of a tranny adaptor and bellhousing clearance issue with the starter, time to break out the die grinder!!

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the turbo is a hx35, it is supposed to make a big difference on these motors, the brake i got from a friend of mine, i wasn't planning on running one but he had it sitting around and for a price i just couldn't say no.

yeah that mural is something else!! i got the Bronco from my uncle on the condition that i HAD to paint it, but once i started building it i figured it was just too darn ugly to cover up.

· Registered
100 Posts
the turbo is a hx35, it is supposed to make a big difference on these motors, the brake i got from a friend of mine, i wasn't planning on running one but he had it sitting around and for a price i just couldn't say no.

yeah that mural is something else!! i got the Bronco from my uncle on the condition that i HAD to paint it, but once i started building it i figured it was just too darn ugly to cover up.
Yeah they spool like crazy compared to stock lagmaster 18 or 21cm^2 housing. Just need to be careful cause the egt's are higher with the hx35.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well front clip on today, picked up a fuel tank and straps too,so i will see what else i get done this weekend.
as for the turbo, i am already looking into a bigger exhaust housing, leaning toward a 16 cm non wastgated housing, any opinions?

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i was just going to run it and see how it goes, just doing the research now so if the egts are high i will know which direction to go.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just a quick update, i will try and get some pics up soon, but i got my exhaust done, 4 inch with a magnaflow flow through muffler, looks good and should work great!
got my throttle pedal in and cable run
started the fuel lines 3/8 feed and 1/4 inch return, my tank should be here tommorow so i can finish it off
started wiring, got my sending unit adaptors so the factory dash guages will work.
my starter, turns out i need a spacer which i didn't have so i had to order one from fordcummins.com, hopefully it won't take too long to get here, but you never know when it has to get through customs!!
looks like i will be able to use my NP205 transfercase shifter linkage, just need to shorten it up about 3 inches. it will move the shifter location but i can deal with that.
shocks are all mounted, need to figure out my driveshafts and get the rad inlet and outlet swapped side to side.
just have all the little time consuming crap to take care of now.

· Registered
100 Posts
For the love of everything diesel DUMP THE FRAM OIL FILTER!!!!!

~anything~ is better than a fram.

Actually if you do any reading on any of the dodge cummins websites they will explain in better detail how the fram filters have been known to come apart and send chunks through the lube system.
+1 and the Donaldsons are cheaper than the frams too.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that is the first i have heard about that, i was planning on changing all the filters and fluids before i fired it up, what is on there is what came with the motor. i will make sure i avoid fram in the future tho.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just some pics

front clip on

and exhaust

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow its been a while since i wrote an update.

ITS ALIVE!!!

finally flashed it up today, started like nothing and runs great!
got the intercooler and pipes done and just need to go over everything and make sure i didn't forget to tighten all the bolts.
clutch works great and no leaks!
got my new wheels and tires bolted up too.
driveshafts finished, cooland lines made up, new brakes done and every thing wired up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.