BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm in Victoria right now after the Jamboree. I've been to nsor once and have an order in; what do you guys think, am I missing anything extra....

1" Daystar bodylift
Tuffy center security console
Tuffy glove box
Rear bumper and carrier (serious metal Fabricating)

That's all I could think of for now...I wanted to get the suspension lift now at the same time but Yasu said the shop was pretty full, so I will have to wait till next summer most likely.

Can anyone suggest some other mods I might want to consider since I'm going back through Van for the day before returning home...

TIA.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do you have a suspension lift already? If not, I would suggest getting a 2" spacer lift instead of body lift. The RE spacer lift probably cost just a little bit more than the Daystar body lift.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm on the other side of the coin, I'd go with the 1 inch body lift before the 1" spacer lift, but both are going to yield a similar result. He'll eventually be buying a suspension lift anyhow, and a mix of body and suspension lift can't hurt :)

If he's shopping at nsor, the teraflex 3/4" spring spacers are within a few bucks of a 1" body lift and the 1.5" ones are within a few dollars of a 2" body.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Baby Joe said:
I'm on the other side of the coin, I'd go with the 1 inch body lift before the 1" spacer lift, but both are going to yield a similar result.
That statement is absulutely not true. With the RE spacer lift he will have better approach angle, departure angle and break over angle. Not to mention the longer shocks that will give him better suspension travel.

Assuming that copeland is not planning on getting anything bigger tha 31" tires, 1" body isn't gonna make his Jeep perform better off-road. The only thing he's gonna get with the body lift is slightly bigger fender gap and higher centre of gravity, although not really a concern with only 2 inches of lift.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
copeland said:
Rear bumper and carrier (serious metal Fabricating)
FYI - I've got a buddy who is selling his Serious Metal rear bumper and spare tire carrier. It's for a CJ but could be modified for a TJ/YJ with a little work.

It's only a couple months old. He's bought a new truck and selling off his old parts. I think he wants $300 for the bumper and carrier. He's also got the matching front bumper (with 8274 winch mount) for sale ($300 too).

Email me for details

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allow me to explain

Yes I am going to get a Suspenson lift, as previously stated. You bring a good point about the approach angles. I'm going with 1" body lift for this simple reason...

As I have been researching over the years and following a jeep from another jeep site, the lift is apparent to help for articulation.
As I see it, the body lift assures that with the suspension lift I will be safe when stuffing a tire in flex. it won't rub. A spacer kit would seem to create too much trouble with driveline, though I may be wrong. But for my goal I prefer the ability of the 1" body lift over a coil spacer kit. Remembering the rules of lift ie. 2" for 31's etc. 3 for 32's 4 for 33's etc.

so I'm thinking I get my lift...add the appropriate rubber, and then that 1" is just extra clearance that won't affect the drive line etc...

I wrote this up quickly so it seems foggy I can re-explain...

But Baby Joe has the right idea.

BTW Jeep on rock, you have mail.

·
Registered
308 Posts
copeland said:
You bring a good point about the approach angles. I'm going with 1" body lift for this simple reason...
You don't want a better approach angle?
copeland said:
A spacer kit would seem to create too much trouble with driveline, though I may be wrong.
It may or may not. I had a spacer lift and had no driveline vibes. I have heard of people having driveline vibes but was elimnated by dropping the t-case with a few washers.
copeland said:
Remembering the rules of lift ie. 2" for 31's etc. 3 for 32's 4 for 33's etc.
I have no idea where you got these rules from but you can run 31s with no lift.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Outkast said:

That statement is absulutely not true. With the RE spacer lift he will have better approach angle, departure angle and break over angle. Not to mention the longer shocks that will give him better suspension travel.
I don't know which backwards planet you're from, but I think 9 out of 10 people would agree that a 1" body lift and a 1" spacer lift yield a similar result. Even if it wasn't "similar" I certainly wouldn't say it's "absolutely not true."

I'm with copeland in saying why bother with an extra inch where the springs are when you can find new springs that do the same thing anyhow? I mean, he hasn't got a lift kit yet, and I'm sure he's planning on buying one, so why add on? The body lift is likely the most painless way to put more room between your tires and fenders. It's not increasing the center of gravity (much), it doesn't change driveline angles and it doesn't change control arm angles. The one inch spacer kit might give him another inch of real clearance, but why not leave the headaches to the actual suspension lift?

Just my buck fitty.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
More fuel for the fire

Picture this:

Copeland decides he wants some nice 4" springs for his TJ (very common lift height), he buys the springs, runs with 33's a bit and decides he wants 35" (or bigger) tires (another common occurance). Now, if he buys a spacer lift, he's going to be running over 4" of added driveline angle, I don't know about you, but I think it's best to keep those babies to a minimum (although it's not the end of the world if you don't). If he buys a body lift, he gets all the benefits I listed above over spacers and room for the 35's which in turn will provide a little more clearance.

Hehe, also: the more you raise your bumper (put lift under the frame), the more damage you do when you hit someone, and hey, you might be a great driver, but **** happens.

Sure it's just one scenario, and maybe I'm off on a tangent, but in my eyes that's just the way to go. I think body lifts have been given a bad name by the shepherd and the sheep just eat it up. If you can show me someone on this board that says "a 1" body lift is a bad way to go" I'll show you a moron. *No offence Arnold, because I know you did not say that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You're scenarios are down the road. Can you honestly say that 1" body will do anything for his set-up at this time? I've got nothing against body as I have 1" along with 4" suspension with 35s(exactly like in one of you're scenarios).

Baby Joe said:
If you can show me someone on this board that says "a 1" body lift is a bad way to go" I'll show you a moron. *No offence Arnold, because I know you did not say that.
How about you showing me someone that has installed a 1" body to clear 31s on a TJ.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A suspension lift will give you more clearance under the gas tank.
If you have wheeled a near stock TJ you know how important this is.

The biggest reason to get a suspension lift is that it usually gives you shocks that dramatically increase your wheel travel.

The big question is what your end result will be.
Copeland already said he will be getting a suspension lift, so I expect the body lift is mostly planning for the future, not for gains now.

Copeland - the "rules" for lifts are there are no rules except one:design your suspension as a system
This means you should know what your end result will be and plan your wheel offset, tire size, shock length, body lift, suspension lift, and bump-stop extensions all to work together.
It sounds like you are doing that already.

You should extend your bump-stops 1/2" for every inch of tire size added above 30". If you don't add more lift along with the bump-stop extensions then you will hit them constantly, but you don't actually NEED the extra lift. 1" of body lift is the same effect as a 1" bump-stop extension. For wide tires or offset rims you may need more bump-stop extension.

3" of lift is plenty for 33s if set up correctly. It can be 3" pure suspension or 2" suspension and 1" body.

Anybody who says they don't need extended bump-stops is either not wheling hard, or is using their shocks as bump-stops. Bad idea.

Anybdy who says extended bump-stops reduce wheel travel does not truly understand how to set up correct suspension geometery.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No question that a suspension lift gives you more susp. travel., but depending on the size tire you are running you will have rubbing upon full flex-hence adding the body lift.

All a body lift is going to do is allow you to run bigger tires with a stock suspension, or give you the added clearance with a susp. lift and even bigger tires.

eg. I run a 4" suspension lift and 31" tires, no rubbing upon full flex. Now if I chose to go to 33" tires I'd have to consider buying a small (1") bodylift to give me that exta room. And if I wanted to go one better and run 35's the a 2" bodylift would be in order.:confused2

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, this started a great debate...

I'm enjoying this thread, it has turned out to be extremely educational I think. I'm still with Baby Joe, and 4lo etc. That's the reason for the 1' lift, as the pro coil spacer guys have said, it won't be a great mod right now, but I'm picturing down the road...
I would like to get a 4" suspension lift later, but no matter what suspension lift I get, I believe that 1" lift now will be an aid, and unlike the coils it will not add to my drivetrain frustrations...True I could drop the Transfer case, I'm hoping to get a SYE when all is said and done.

Chris S. pointed out another point that I forgot to add I can lift my gas tank up an inch more out of the way to.

Outkast, though you can fit the 31's on a stock Tj, I hate the look, it looks too cramped and I know it kills flex...

This is Stubby, a jeep I'm sort of modeling : http://dirtroad.com/more-b.jpg before lift (30.5)
http://dirtroad.com/more-a.jpg after lift (31.5)

I hope that gives the coilspacers fans a better understanding of where we 1" body lift boys are coming from.

BTW I will not go over a 1" Bl for the obvious reasons/beliefs of the stress put on the body bolts etc. I will do suspension and may still do coilspacers after but the coil spacers are last on the list for now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts