BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals

Have an 81 Toy (20R) that is having some problems all of a sudden.... so my wife says. She was driving it into town on Sat. and when she stopped at a light it kept stalling. She nursed it home, but every time the the tach was below 1500rpm it would die.

It felt like it was starving for fuel, but you can hear the fuel pump and it reves up fine, 2000 - 4000 no problems, its all low speed. I checked the carb and everything looks ok, fuel filter is about 6 months old,
spark plugs and wires, dist cap, rotor, are all about a year old. (The carb itself is only about 2 years old also. was replaced with a new one just before I bought the truck)

The only new part was a headder and new exhaust about 2 weeks ago, but it ran fine after It was installed.

any Ideas????

Thanks
Ken

------------------
Bright Yellow 81 toy & 33s (Alum. Canopy that fits it is 4-sale!!!! $100obo)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Combustion chamber cleaner is your solution.
get some from GM, they work the best and make sure to follow the directions or else it won't work. you probably just have carbon in your engine if it has high K's.

------------------
Tall truck + Short girlfriend = Whining

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Cliffhanger
Im not too sure of the Kms on it, The guy I bought it from said the motor was rebuilt, that was about 40K ago. Other than the Idle, it runs good, will look into the combustion cleaner.
thanks
Ken

------------------
Bright Yellow 81 toy & 33s (Alum. Canopy that fits it is 4-sale!!!! $100obo)

·
Registered
44 Posts
check your timming, pull a spark plug and see how it looks, that could determine if your running lean or rick and if your timming is to advanced or retaraded...oops i cant spell...

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches,EFI coversion, Header,2 1/2 exhast, high lift cam, 3
" lift, welded rear,
rear track bar, 3in body lift, 33" comming soon, 24$ paint, flatbed, ready to be beaten, broke and shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by Ken:
Hi Guys & Gals

Have an 81 Toy (20R) that is having some problems all of a sudden.... so my wife says. She was driving it into town on Sat. and when she stopped at a light it kept stalling. She nursed it home, but every time the the tach was below 1500rpm it would die.

It felt like it was starving for fuel, but you can hear the fuel pump and it reves up fine, 2000 - 4000 no problems, its all low speed. I checked the carb and everything looks ok, fuel filter is about 6 months old,
spark plugs and wires, dist cap, rotor, are all about a year old. (The carb itself is only about 2 years old also. was replaced with a new one just before I bought the truck)

The only new part was a headder and new exhaust about 2 weeks ago, but it ran fine after It was installed.

any Ideas????

Thanks
Ken

Hey Ken,check and make sure your vacuum lines are still hooked up or not broken.9 times out of 10 it's either a vacuum
leak or your low speed idle solenoid has
malfunctioned or you have lost power to it.
If you cant seem to find the problem,i live in Winfield, call me, i will help you out.
Rob....766-5996.

·
1,269 Posts
Dude, does your header have a pipe going off it into your air cleaner? Didn't think so. This passes hot air into the air intake to keep it from (you guessed it) icing up. Your carb is a popsicle.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys
It turned out to be the low speed Idle solenoid. The wire to it had broken under the aircleaner.

once again, thanks for the tips (the old girl is runn'n again.... phew!)

but I did do a compression check and was 110-120 on 3 cyl and 85 on the #4, does anyone know whats normal?

later
Ken

------------------
Only in Canada Eh.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 22-re read consistantly at 137 give or take 3, seeems low, but its a different enigne so I could be wrong, burning any oil? Anthony

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

·
Registered
59 Posts
Normal readings should be around what Anthony gets 135-145 or more.
I know people that have had problems with there 22r or re's. My brother inlaw had his rebuilt and less than 20000kms the block cracked... not cool i think that the 20rs are relitivly the same. (am i right???)
Low compression could also mean a blowing or blown head gasket. Take a look at your oil to see if theres water in it, or see if thers oil in the radiator..
Just some ideas on a probable cause for lack of compression..
Dont know if Im right, just my thoughs.
Ben

------------------
77 landcruiser 4SPEED
slow and steady wins the race
Toyotas Rock!!! though they are made with rotten metal.. anyway they still rock...!!!

·
1,269 Posts
If you've blown your head gasket you're going to want to look for milky fuild (rad fluid) in your oil. Lots and lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe is also indicitave of a pooched head gasket.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
also head warpeg (sp?) could be a reason for some compresion loss but I don't think that much, check what those guys said and if it is your head gasket, just replace it, easy enough job. Anthony

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys

The Oil is clean, no water in it, and the motor seems to run OK, no white smoke or blue for that matter. not sure why the compression is so low. It does seem gutless, but then I use to drive a 68GM with a 350, so I assumed it was the shock of losing 4 cly.

My first thought is a head gasket, but now Im not so sure. When I get the motor in my other truck I will be able to strip this one down and see.

thanks again for everyones help

later
Ken

------------------
Only in Canada Eh.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts