BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my third toyota and all of them have eventualy started making a realy nasty cracking noise in the front end. It sounds like it might be the wheel bearings, but i realy have no idea. The nosie usualy happens when i'm starting off from a stop, especialy in reverse and when turning. It also does it while driving when most of the weight gose on one wheel and only when in four wheel drive

Does anyone know what this noise is cuased by and what will fix it?:confused:

Thanx for the help:read

:canadian rules

:usa burns slowly

Don't belive what you think

·
Registered
363 Posts
is it ifs?
never owned one but i understand theyre notorious for squeaky ball joints and steering bumpstops. could also be a-arm pivot bushinngs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just grease the bumpstops. They ALL do that eventually. If they are really bad just replace them, they're cheap.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
wade said:
Just grease the bumpstops. They ALL do that eventually. If they are really bad just replace them, they're cheap.
That is, if it's IFS. master YOTA we need some info. For all we know you could have a corolla.

Actually wade you mean steering stops right? Why in gods name would you grease bumpstops? Anyway if it is IFS and it happens at full turn then it is definetly steering stops (very common), just grease em up. However you did mention that it happens when starting off from a stop so I doubt it is steering stops. Have you checked the odvious like u-joints, cv's and balljoints? Is it coming from the front end or rear end or somewhere in the middle? INFO!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
A friend of mine had a problem like this.
The cracking noise was coming from the spring pack shifting around due to slightly loose u-bolts.
Also the springs made this noise when shifting from side to side when turning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's an 83 pick-up, solid axel. It's been abused. I'm pretty sure it's caused by internal components due to the loud cracking\grinding sound it makes.

Thanx for the info:read

·
Registered
45 Posts
front end

If it has indy front end it might be your half shaft going to the front wheel.Ihad a 86 toy and had pretty much the same problem. I might be wrong.Let me know if thats what it is.Good luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
so its only in 4wd? that narrows it down to the front drivetrain. id just do a front end rebuild and see what you find. sounds like its birf related.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts