BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI and Thanks for your help. I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee and want to install a lift kit. I was hoping to do a proper suspension lift but am leaning towards a Trailmaster or Rubicon 2" coil spring lift due to the cost savings. A full suspension lift will be installed at a later date. My offroading is pretty much going to be limited to logging roads and trails, nothin hardcore for now. Any advice or recomendations will be appreciated. Also both manufacturers say the coil spring kit will clear 31" tires. Does this sound accurate. Thought I'd have to add 3" to clear 31's comfortably.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by Darkre:
HI and Thanks for your help. I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee and want to install a lift kit. I was hoping to do a proper suspension lift but am leaning towards a Trailmaster or Rubicon 2" coil spring lift due to the cost savings. A full suspension lift will be installed at a later date. My offroading is pretty much going to be limited to logging roads and trails, nothin hardcore for now. Any advice or recomendations will be appreciated. Also both manufacturers say the coil spring kit will clear 31" tires. Does this sound accurate. Thought I'd have to add 3" to clear 31's comfortably.
Thanks again.
Well I'm just making a set of aluminum coil spacers for a friends 92ZJ. They arent that hard to make if you have access to some metal and a welder. I'm making mine a little more fancy and since its only 4 of them the material is over priced at about $75. I got lucky and have a piece lying around but if you want a couple inches cheap, some pipe, big washers, and welder can have you sitting 2 inches taller in no time. And with only a couple inches you can keep your shocks and brakelines which makes it a lot cheaper yet.

RYan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeah, but changing to long-travel shocks at the same time can make a huge difference in off-road performance.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

G

·
Don't Grand Cherokees come with quadratrac 4wd. If I'm right, this system acts like a locker in long travel situations. I would just worry about your ground clearance and let that cool QuadraTrac system take care of any traction issues.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
Try anything once!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The quadra trac system was an upscale option on 99+ Grands. It fails to work if you are trying to go slowly over something while flexing. It requires wheelspin (the faster the tires are going the more it locks up). So for street and mud it works good, but otherwise I have not been impressed.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 'Bro has QuadraTrac on his '93. We put a 2" Front, 1.75" Rear spacer lift on his coils and it works excellent. Cost about $100 worth of materials (Nythane Copolymer) and my time to machine them. 4 hour install time, could be quicker if your suspension is CLEAN (right!)
He runs 31" x 10.5" on the stock 17x7 rims. slight scrubbing on the front swaybar under extreme articulation.
On the QuadraTrac issue, it does not seem to have a negative impact at all.

-greg.
--------------
'98 ZJ Laredo Almost Stock
2" Coil Spacers
30x9.5 Michelin LTX A/T

"I ditched the running boards though...."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Typo= he runs 15x7 rims.

-greg.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
First of all, greg your a dork!!! j/j
i'v got a 94 zj not a 93
i'm running 15x7 with 31x10.5 with a 2 inch spacer in the front and 1.75 in the back, although all my suspension is shot so it is riding 1.5 inches lower all around. and my 31's work excelent, although it rubs only in whn i turn left, i have to relocate my brake lines and put a were srip on my sway bar, we built my spacers out of nylon, and if you want i might be able to build you a par for a small amount of money :)
e-mail me if you want them.
[email protected]

------------------
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
First of all, greg your a dork!!! j/j
i'v got a 94 zj not a 93
i'm running 15x7 with 31x10.5 with a 2 inch spacer in the front and 1.75 in the back, although all my suspension is shot so it is riding 1.5 inches lower all around. and my 31's work excelent, although it rubs only in whn i turn left, i have to relocate my brake lines and put a were srip on my sway bar, we built my spacers out of nylon, and if you want i might be able to build you a par for a small amount of money :)
e-mail me if you want them.
[email protected]

------------------
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm, Kraqa is it?
First:
'93 or '94 doesn't really matter, front sways and lines are all identical placement on ZJ models. If this setup runs on your rig it will run on Darkre's.

Second, as is evident by your email, maybe you should invest in a spell checker, or is that part of your quaint urban-ghetto themed "persona"? BTW The correct contraction of "you are" is "you're" the form... you're... using implies possession, as in "your truck" of the truck belonging to you.

You'll also recall that we left your stock rubber spring spacer in, giving an additional .5" - .625" of lift over stock.

You are quite right that your rear shocks are shot, Although it seems fitting that your truck sags about as much as those pimpin pants you wear, Please Hammer, Don't hurt me!.

So, right, the spacers are simple to make, just make sure you get the right material. Some guys are using aluminum, urethane would be great, except it doesn't machine well and is very expensive to mold. Nylon is easy to machine, but it's impact strength would probably break under some good off road impact. I chose a block co-polymer material to blend the impact resistance of urethane with the tensile and compressive strength of nylon. Plus, a monkey could machine this stuff.

Problem with spacers, is that you don't gain any articulation. Adding aftermarket shocks would help this I guess.

Yeesh, call me a dork eh.

-greg.

------------------
'98 ZJ Laredo - Mostly stock
2" Coil Lift
30x9.5 Michelin A/T's

"At least I took the running boards off..."

[This message has been edited by jimi (edited September 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by Darkre:
Thanks again.
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee with a 2.5-3" pro-comp suspension lift.The kit has been installed since 99. I installed the lift myself and it took only 4 to 5 hours. I didn't change brake lines but the kit came with new shocks,coils, etc. I have ramped it on a 20 degree ramp with the sway bars disconnected and it did around 800 rti.

If you have any questions give me a e-mail

Brett

------------------
87 Samurai, 92 fuel injected 1.6 ltr.,s.o.a., 5.13 r/p, birfield rings, 2" exhaust, 32/11.5 mud kings, breeze steering and missing links, 5012 up front with custom towers, toyota mr-2 seats, breeze trac bar, custom rock sliders and still going.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by Brett:
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee with a 2.5-3" pro-comp suspension lift.The kit has been installed since 99. I installed the lift myself and it took only 4 to 5 hours. I didn't change brake lines but the kit came with new shocks,coils, etc. I have ramped it on a 20 degree ramp with the sway bars disconnected and it did around 800 rti.

If you have any questions give me a e-mail

Brett

oh ya I run 31/10.5/15 with minor rubing

------------------
87 Samurai, 92 fuel injected 1.6 ltr.,s.o.a., 5.13 r/p, birfield rings, 2" exhaust, 32/11.5 mud kings, breeze steering and missing links, 5012 up front with custom towers, toyota mr-2 seats, breeze trac bar, custom rock sliders and still going.

·
Registered
8 Posts

What 4wd do you have? Do you have any problems w/ tire slip due to open diffs? Or do you run lockers? How aggressive can you get off road? I heard that the pro-comp system loses on-street drivability and that Terraflex, OME or Rubicon was the way to go?

-greg

------------------
'98 ZJ Laredo - Mostly stock
2" Coil Lift
30x9.5 Michelin A/T's

"At least I took the running boards off..."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts