BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.......I am a die hard Toyota fan but certain things are prohibiting me from driving my Toyota currently and for the next 2 yrs so I bought a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ to keep me busy and to try out a new 4x4.

Anyway....I have been reading several different forums and I have came to the conclusion that Jeeps aren't as cheap, or easy to modify as I thought they were. I have read many things about SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminators), SOA Conversions (Spring Over Axles), SUA Lifts (Springs Under Axles), Shimming Rear Axles to lift Jeeps, Dropping the Transfer Case and so on and I think my brain is going to blow up if I don't get a solid answer on what is really needed to lift my YJ.

This is what I need:

1) Simple Lift to clear 33x12.5's for mostly on road application

2) Cost Effective

3) Good ride on and off-road (Desert Flat Lands with a few rock crawling areas)

4) Easy/Moderate Installation (I am a back yard mechanic)

5) Write-ups/Technical Assistance if anyone is that experienced here to help.

6) A "MONEY TREE".....just kidding, actually I am not kidding but I know that if someone had one that they wouldnt share anyway.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I am really bummed about my Toyota since I spent well over $20k on it in the last year to include SAS from IFS to a Dana44/Dana 60, Custom Driveshafts, Front/Rear Lockers, New Hubs, New Rims, New Tires, New Bilstein 7100s, New Shackles, New Engine, New Exhaust, New Headers, New Intake, New Interior and so on. The reason I can't drive it is because it is too big/too wide and where I live is in Manama, Bahrain and they wont allow it, flat out.

Somebody help me out..........money is not a HUGE problem since I make twice as much out in the Middle East but when I get back to the states I want to convert this like I did with my 4Runner so I would prefer not to waste money on things I don't absolutely need, ya know.

Thanks all......

Jason

------------------
Jason

1988 4Runner SAS Dana44/Dana60 with all the fixings (For Sale)

1994 Wrangler YJ (Stock, but will be rock worthy one day)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Originally posted by SaudiArabianYJ:
This is what I need:

1) Simple Lift to clear 33x12.5's for mostly on road application

2) Cost Effective

3) Good ride on and off-road (Desert Flat Lands with a few rock crawling areas)

4) Easy/Moderate Installation (I am a back yard mechanic)

5) Write-ups/Technical Assistance if anyone is that experienced here to help.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

First I am going to assume that your truck is the same in all respects to ours here.
You have the HO 4.0L I6 right?

I would suggest since you are looking for mostly bolt on stuff, to look into the Rubicon Express stuff. www.rubiconexpress.com I understand they have a nice 4.5" "Extreme" SUA lift that fits 33s just fine. Basically just a bolt on. Because of the short rear driveshaft the angles really begin to get bad and cause vibratins and other problems. So the SYE is recommended. It take the slip yoke out of the t-case and puts it into the driveshaft thus making the driveshaft longer and the t-case shorter. Some prefer the RE for is reletive low cost, but others choose the HD SYE conversions for a stronger t-case.

Since you are wanting to stay simple, then the SOA is probably not for you as it requires some fabrication. Although it rides really nice.

Further, you may have heard about the weakness of the Dana 35 rear end in you truck. Depending on driving style, it may be worthwhile to upgrade the rear axle. The Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer (early ones are drum, newer ones are disk brake). Basically the same width and really strong for what you will be using. As a bonus, it has the same bolt pattern. Although it will likely require some spring pad fabrication and shock mounts, it should not be that difficult to do. There are lots of people out there running them in their Jeeps now.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HD SYE......can you give me more details on this?

Also....I have the 2.5L and the Jeep was brought from the USA.

Thanks for the information you gave....I am still trying to figure out the whole SYE thing still.

Thanks again.......

------------------
Jason

1988 4Runner SAS Dana44/Dana60 with all the fixings (For Sale)

1994 Wrangler YJ (Stock, but will be rock worthy one day)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by SaudiArabianYJ:
HD SYE......can you give me more details on this?
There are two main types of SYE out there. Ones that are just a cut and modifies stock shaft and ones with an entire new tail-cone and a heavy duty shaft. With the 2.5L you probably don't have enough torque to break a stock shaft, so it's up to you if you want to spend the money for a bit of "reserve" strength.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

1 - 5 of 5 Posts