BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my brothe rwashed my runner he said he opened the doors to wash the salt off of the rocker panels.
Tonight it started to bogue under load if I ease the gas on no problem but if I horse it the motor seems to stumble and no power, any idas what could be causing this?

------------------
85 SR5 4 runner, 7"sup,2" body, 35"BFG muds,5:29, wide track rear, vented rotor conversion, and no place to go.

·
Registered
373 Posts
check your cap and rotor! it is probably shot or has water in it!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE; today I pulled the computer (no signs of water) brought it into the house for 4 to 5 hours, pulled the distributor cap rotor wires and plugs all are dry so I put it all back togather and after the motor warmed up it started to miss under heavy load again like last night, What could be causing this I am stumped and need your advise plz thanks.

------------------
85 SR5 4 runner, 7"sup,2" body, 35"BFG muds,5:29, wide track rear, vented rotor conversion, and no place to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would also check to see that your computer is not wet. I had the same problem and it turned out that there was a leak dripping right on the computer. It is under your passenger kick panel. I would first of all remove the neg. from the battery so that you can reset the computer. Leave it off for as long as you can because in cold weather it takes longer for the computer to reset. Hope this helps

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had taken the cpu out and brought it into the house for 4 to 5 hours while it was in the house I pulled it apart to see if there was any moisture in it and it was dry at one time there was a leak on it because there was traces of white metal corrision but it was dry today, I`m not ruling out that this might be the problem but I don`t think it is here any other help would be good.......

------------------

·
Registered
802 Posts
Even though you checked your distributor, you might want to apply some WD-40 or other moisture-displacement spray in there just to make sure. Your air flow meter may be wet or contaminated, or you might have an air leak between the AFM and the throttle body. Also check your air cleaner, which may be wet or clogged. This can also be caused by wet or faulty spark plug wires, vacuum leak, or even timing (the car wash might be coincidental).

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks GREG but now im realy lost, just lately I have seen guys take about a air flow meter, AFM I like to think I know a fair bit about the 22re`s I`m no stranger to a wrench, I have basicaly build my runner from nothing but I have no ida at all what a afm is, could someone post a pic with a arrow pointing to it, and there is a white dial thing on my throtle body and the hoses look to be going to a vcv any ida what this does as I have turned it both ways while the motor is running and there isn`t any change in rpm`s thank again.

------------------

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would have to agree that the wash timing was just coincidence but I would as well check over the spark and fuel systems care fully. As to the afm it is highly doubtful that the afm is causing the problem but if you are looking then just look at where your air filter is and it is the black cover that is right on top of the air filter. If you search this site enough you will find a picture on what it looks like and what it does.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks burger.

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had very similar conditions when my TPS (throttle position sensor) was causing trouble...mind you, there was an engine code to tell me. I've heard that it will cause problems if it's dirty or adjusted wrong - I'd make sure your idle speed is set correctly, and then remove / clean / replace / adjust your TPS. This link may help with the specs:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Oh yeah...this may sound obvious, but my fuel filter was also pretty dirty and I replaced it at the same time...I don't know if it was that or the TPS or both, but it made a world of difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks adam I have a spair tps on another intake, anyone know where the idle adjustment is? my 22re has always idled at 1200 rpms never any lower, and I would like to see it hover around 800 thanks for all the help just need a nice day to work on it or my boss to clean his crap out of his 90X40 heated shed so there is enough room to get in there

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, that's about where mine was idling too...never below 1100.

Idle adjustment is on the throttle body. Looking at it from the front of the truck, it's on top at the left hand side...just a large flat-head screw (the only one like it). Try it and you'll know it's the right one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks Adam, what is it the big white one just off the top on the left hand side I have turned it all the way in and almost all the way out and I cant tell or hear any difference in the way it runs??

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
That sure sounds like the right one, although mine's not white, it's the same colour as the rest of the throttle body. I don't know what the deal is...my idle changes audibly with a 1/4 turn of the screw.

If you have a spare intake why not just swap throttle bodies, TPS and all...might fix both issues at the same time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts