BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a set of TJ flares (thanks joe) in the next couple of days but i dont have the knowledge or tools to cut my fenders to put them on.

So i am looking for someone to give me a hand for a few hours to make the cuts for me.

I can prep everything so my old flares are off and ready to do the fender cuts.

Beer and pizza included for anyones help.

I live in surrey so anyone some what local would be great :)

thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
i remember jp magazine did that modification in an issue last year.
i'm not sure which month but they made it look fairly easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get a hold of a sawzall, thats what i did on my XJ, worked like a charm. Andrew did a write up on doing that to his YJ, its in the wrenching section on this website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I taped painters tape to the fenders, held the tj flares in place with some clamps and ran a pencil under them to get my cut line. I also cut the little tits off the back of the tj flares so they would clamp tight to the fenders. I used a jig saw with a fine metal blade, cut it very easily and clean. Then I place the new flares on with clamps, cut a felt pen to about 2'' long, this helps it fit the pen under the flares and makes it easier to mark the mounting holes. Don't forget to paint the edges of your fenders and a little silicone on the screws couldn't hurt.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
i'm hoping on doing the swap this weekend...i was wondering why do i have to remove my stock steps?...
Because the stock steps are combined with the plastic rocker trim that joins up to the front fender flare. When you remove the stock flare and put on a TJ front flare, the plastic cladding that includes the stock step will look rather ridiculous because there will be a weird gap btwn the flare and the plastic cladding.

I can think of a few ways to make it look less ridiculous but your energy is better spent on bolting on some angle iron rocker armour. ;)

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Allan

I did mine on the weekend and it was a pain in the ass taking those old steps off. Plus it left a little rust and a lot of ugly.

I am getting a quote tonight on some rock guards with a 1 1/4 inch tub step. That should cover all that uglyness up.

After a find out the price i will e-mail u. I am hoping to get a few of us to buy them so we can get a lower price.

Brent

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok so i stared to take my flares off tonight but had to stop cuz my fingers started to cramp!!..:(

is there an easier way or trick to get those bolts off?...some of them i can't even get off...:help

allan

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
big jeep'n said:
ok so i stared to take my flares off tonight but had to stop cuz my fingers started to cramp!!..:(

is there an easier way or trick to get those bolts off?...some of them i can't even get off...:help
I'm guessing the one's your having problems with are just in the of the rear wheel well, right?

When I encountered this problem, I decided to accept the fact that the rocker trim wasn't going to come off in one piece. So I cut off as much of the trim as needed in order for me to fit my angle grinder in there and grind off the head of the stuck bolt.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're having problems getting the flares off, I've found some of the bolts inside the wheelwells on my jeep are very corroded and hard to get a socket to grag, so I've used an old wood chisel to split the square plastic nut in half. Saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
two things...

#1 i'm having problems getting a socket or wrench around the nut cuz the lining is in my way...

#2 it's like impossible to get a wrench or socket in there...

i guess i just have to be patient...i thought it was going to be alot easier...:p

allan

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
big jeep'n said:
two things...

#1 i'm having problems getting a socket or wrench around the nut cuz the lining is in my way...

#2 it's like impossible to get a wrench or socket in there...

i guess i just have to be patient...i thought it was going to be alot easier...:p

allan
Where is "there?" What lining are you referring to? I didn't have any problems with mine except for the bolts that go into the nutserts that hold the rocker cladding on. The flares themselves came off quite easily. It helps if you pressure wash the fender wells to get all the dried mud out of there. You might consider buying a small ratchet box wrench. It'll come in handy when installing the TJ flares anyway.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts