BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your guys's thoughts on what size tire i should run, this is later down the road, but need plan my money and mods. So here is pic of 4" of lift, YJ flares and 31's

So i'm deciding between 33's and 35's. I got a D44 rear, so thats fine, but i've got the 30. I'm going to go with 4.56 gears. And i've got the 231t-case and AX-15 tranny.

So i want your guys' thoughts on 33's or 35's? If i were to go with 35's, i'd swap in a D44. If i go 33's i'd leave the front axle and possibly replace the 260ujoints with 297's. Basically is the bigger tires worth it or no? Let me know what you think, plus i've got a 1.5" BB to go on it, but that would possibly mean i'd need a SYE as well. So opinions please.
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
WANTED:
33x12.50MT's, 4.5"+ shocks and lower control arms, a cheap 12" sub, and a cheap amp

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd say 33's
doesn't look like you have enough room in the rear for 35's.
find some tj flares for the rear and then maybe 35's...

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you don't have vibes then don't mess with the lift.
Go 33s.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by XJman:
So i want your guys' thoughts on 33's or 35's? If i were to go with 35's, i'd swap in a D44. If i go 33's i'd leave the front axle and possibly replace the 260ujoints with 297's. Basically is the bigger tires worth it or no? Let me know what you think, plus i've got a 1.5" BB to go on it, but that would possibly mean i'd need a SYE as well. So opinions please.
What's a 1.5" BB??

IMO, there is a noticeable improvement in 'wheeling ability when going from a 33" to a 35" tire. The larger contact patch makes a difference and you'd be surprised to see how infrequently you contact rocks with your diff. Part of that is because by going to 35" tires you are moving your ground clearance into a higher percentile that most people don't occupy. In other words, most of the harder trails are "groomed" by 33" tires so having the extra inch of ground clearance gives you enough of an advantage to be noticeable.

I certainly noticed a diff when I switched.

Of course, I don't see many XJs running 35" tires due to fender trimming and control arm geometry issues. Unless you're willing to fabricate or buy a long-arm kit, running 35" tires may necessitate mods to your suspension that will downgrade your vehicle's handling to the point where you hate driving it on the street.

So, in the case of your XJ, I'd suggest sticking with 33" tires.

Does anyone know much about XJs running on 35" tires? What mods were required?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
What's a 1.5" BB??
Budget Boost.
In the case of an XJ it's usually a spring spacer in the front and a longer shackle in the rear.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya BB=budget boost, what chris said. From seeing your guys's responses, i think i'm going to with 33's for right now. I'm gaining a greater contact patch from going from 31's anyways. Plus with 35's i know i'm going to have get a better steering setup, if not with 33's. I think i'll wait to see if i have a puddle jumper to drive daily and then make the jeep a weekend toy. I agree with ya on the long arm kit as well. Thanks for the input guys.
Jordan

------------------
WANTED:
33x12.50MT's, 4.5"+ shocks and lower control arms, a cheap 12" sub, and a cheap amp

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am running 33x12.5 TSL Swampers on my XJ(Street only for now). I run a 4.5" Rubicon kit with a 2" coil spacer and a 6" Rubicon kit in the back. I rub my front tires on my flares if I turn the wheel to sharp. I just ordered a Rubicon 6" kit for the front. It will give me 6' springs, trac bar relocating kit, and drop brackets to mount my control arms and correct the geometry in the front. I will be adding a 2" coil spacer in the front and will be adding a 1" lift block to raise the rear a bit. This should give me enough room to flex but trust me, even with over six inches of lift I rub on EVERYTHING with 33s. From the looks of your picture I have much more height than you but those flares give you much more room than I have. I run a 32x11.50 Mud tire when off-roading and have never EVER had any clearance problems. Even powering through the deep pits at stave I haven't had any body contact with the 32s.

When all the new suspension goes in I will run either 33" Boggers or a set of 35" Baja Claws. The Baja Claw 35s are actually SHORTER than my 33" Swampers so they fit and give you the bragging rights of having fit 35s on a Cherokee.

Whew! That's my opinion. Your Jeep looks wicked and will look MUCH MUCH better with bigger tires. Your flares are awesome. Did you have to mount the rear ones to the door? If not could you email me some details on what you did? The fronts would work awesome for me as soon as the trimming is donethe new bumper goes on.

------------------
80 Cj5, Met.Grey,360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ Blue6/6.5" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, there is another guy on this site that is running the Skyjacker 8"lft and he only runs 33x1250 Swampers. 33s are plenty big on a Cherokee.

------------------
80 Cj5, Met.Grey,360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ Blue6/6.5" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by MikeCj5:
Also, there is another guy on this site that is running the Skyjacker 8"lft and he only runs 33x1250 Swampers. 33s are plenty big on a Cherokee.

I'm running 33X12.50s MTR,s.I had them on with the 6.5" lift aswell and they rubbed.But I did some mods aswell.

------------------
If you can't stop....
smile as you go under!
99 XJ, 8" Sky-Jacker coils,leaves,yadda, yadda, yadda, 10" total 33"x12.5" MTR's = Divorce (?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jordan, I have 33's on my xj with 5" of lift. i had to trim the fenders about 2" and i still rub a little. I have to be careful on the drivers side because of the snorkel tube that runs through the fender but on the passenger side i dont really have any problems. i'm still runing stock rims but have a set of AR767 w/4.75 backspacing coming, we'll see how much difference that makes. as far as an SYE goes i don't have one and have no vibes yet. next year when i change the suspension i will get one and try some 35's to see how they work. I live in White Rock so if you want to try on some 33's and see how they will work you are welcome to come over and try them on.
hopr this helps
Braden
604-538-9116

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas
87xj w/5' lift, snorkel, roof rack, 8000 warn, 33" mud kings and rust

1 - 10 of 10 Posts