BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in a bit of a cross roads with my Zuk. I currently have a 1.5 Toyota engine and 5 speed (I know, stupid choice but at the time 5 years ago it was the option based on price) mated to my Suzuki Samurai transfer case with crawler gears. On the weekend I completely blew the transfer case apart, teeth poured out of the drain hole. The case was put together incorrectly so hopefully it is still under warranty. The problem is the toyota stuff and the Suzuki stuff are causing problems, too many custom bits and angles all al ittle off etc.

So my question is: Do I go back to a Samurai engine, gearbox and transfer case with the crawler gears or
Sidekick 1.6 auto or manual, sidekick transfer case with crawler gears.

I am running 34 Swampers with an air locker
What do you think?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd have to say at least stay away from the auto. cant really go wrong with a fresh 1.3 sami mill. A 1.6 is nice but still this and that like adapting it and all that crap. If you're sick of headaches get a rebuild kit for a 1.3 and off u go.

------------------
ZookPower

G

·
The sammi tranny bolts up to the 1.6 with minmal mods, so you may want to go that route. Lots of guys around here do the 1.6 swap and love it.
All you do to the tranny, is weld on a couple of tabs to mate to the holes on the 1.6 block, and then you have to remove a bit of material with a die grinder from the bellhousing. I was told it's easy, and it's way easier than putting in the sidekick tranny. I was told the sammi tranny is plenty strong enough handle the power that the 1.6 puts out.
Hope this input helps a bit.
later

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
(one day I'll do a SAS)
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find out about the warranty issue this weekend, so hopefully it will all be replaced and i can get back to fixing the driveshafts, the jack shaft, the gearbox/transfer case alignment and installing line locks.
If the warranty falls through what do people think about the Sumo 6:1 gears, anyone use them, know someone who uses them or heard any good rumours about them? I know they are expensive but I am still running stock RPs and running 34's so with the Sumo everything should be ok without the price and hassle of having to buy lower RPs and the added weakness.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you give more details on your swap details. I am currently stuffing a Toy 22RE into a Zuk SJ410 LWB. Would be intrested in what has caused you grief and what your thoughts are. To me the horsepower and torque of the 22RE can't be beat when compared to the Zuk 1.6 swap.

------------------
A real 4by is one that has been over on all four sides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that you should go with a VW 1.6 or 1.9 TD that would rock I am doing a 1.6td swap into my sammie I have a 85 with toy axles and 4:11 and putting in a 4:1 rock lobster t case. pros great gas milage awsome torque not everyone will have one
cons cost and making the kit and adapter plate
but if you put that a side it is a great deal
(you could always wait and find someone who is selling there kit and buy it or wait untill april rocky road is coming out with one for $8oo0
hope it helps
Chubby

1 - 7 of 7 Posts