BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put my front driveshaft in for the first time since the axle swap and soa. When i lock the hubs in and stick it in 4 high i get a nasty vibration that shakes the whole jeep. Then if I take it out of 4wd and put it back into 2wd the vibration is still there. If I unlock the hubs its fine.
The u-joints on the driveshaft are brand new I just put them in 2 days ago. I am thinking that the drive shaft may be hitting the skid plate since i took the transfer case drop out and the shaft only clears the skid plate by about 3/4".
What do you guys think?

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If the driveshaft is hitting anything, it should be fairly apparent by some marking on the driveshaft I would think.
Is your front driveshaft balanced, and is it at a reasonable angle? I'm assuming since u recently did an axle swap, the front axle u-joints are new.
That's all i can think of now.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by N8:
Just put my front driveshaft in for the first time since the axle swap and soa. When i lock the hubs in and stick it in 4 high i get a nasty vibration that shakes the whole jeep. Then if I take it out of 4wd and put it back into 2wd the vibration is still there. If I unlock the hubs its fine.
The u-joints on the driveshaft are brand new I just put them in 2 days ago. I am thinking that the drive shaft may be hitting the skid plate since i took the transfer case drop out and the shaft only clears the skid plate by about 3/4".
What do you guys think?
I think you should phone CornJeeper. ;-) Seriously though, it's certainly not unusual to encounter vibration problems after an SOA because getting the driveshaft angles just so can sometimes be a finicky process.

Does this happen at any speed or just at higher speeds?

Assuming the u-joints are good and the driveshaft is balanced and straight, you are probably going to have to address the issue of driveline angle.

By the way, is this the old driveshaft you're using or a new, longer one?

Is your transfer case dropped? If so, you might be able to raise it up by adding a CV shaft and SYE kit. If you do this, this will ease the angle on the front drive output.

Tell us how your Jeep is configured.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
opps!!!!!! i forgot to tell you that you need to knotch your skid plate a little to make room for your shaft. i will call you after my class today. i think chris has done the same thing so just read through his write-up if you don't get the whole knotching thing.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by lars:

Tell us how your Jeep is configured.
well he has a SOA with 2.5" springs. in the rear i set the pinion angle to be 2* lower than pointing straight at the output on the t-case. i used my driveshaft to help find the angle...no guessing

for the front i set the pinion angle to be parallel with the output on the t-case because he is using his stock shaft that is not a cv. i have yet to see how the length of the stock shaft will work because i never put it in.

the skid plate is also raised all the way to stock configuration.

i was thinking that it could and most likely be the shaft binding at the output yoke. i can't be curtain because i have yet to see the angle of the front shaft. n8 try unlocking the hubs and putting the t-case in 2wd and spinning the front shaft by hand. look at the bottom of the yoke cups and see how much clearance there is.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts