BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's longtime friend had a CJ-5 when they were teeneagers about 15 years ago. About 10 years ago she got in a small crash, and got it fixed. All the same, she wouldn't drive it any more and she sold it to her father who proceeded to park it in his front yard ever since.
It's a 78 CJ-5, the body doesn't look to bad other than the rust from sitting for 10 years in the open. I give the body a 6/10.
It obviously doesn't run. The 35" mud tires that are on it have been flat for 10 years also, so new tires are in order.
What do you think it has for an engine? It must be a V8. Dunno, I would be guessing really.
I'm thinking of buying it from the old guy, he has no idea yet. I'll just show up on his door and offer some cash to him.
How much do you think? $300-500?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well, if the engine is salvagable and there are no rust-though holes in the tub you could get it running, slap a Maco paint job on it, and get $5,000 for it easy around here.

OTOH if it's just scrap to the guy and he knows you he might be happy to take $500.00
Even if it turns out to be junk you could re-sell it for parts for that much.

Reminds me of one time my dad and I aproached a farmer about a 57 Chevy Bel-Air he had in his field. We asked him what it would be worth to him for us to take it away. He said it wasn't realy in the way, but he'd give us $50.00 to haul it to the dump
. We had to argue with him to get him to take $300.00 from us for it.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Engine would be a 258 Inline 6 or a 304 V8.
Give the body and especially the frame alook over to make sure they are in decent condition.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
237 Posts
It should be a 304 V8

If he isnt going to need it or use it again, offer 500$, less if he doesnt know about what some guys would pay on here for it hehe

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts