BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as Greg mentioned yesterday, here is the reason it snowed. BC4x4 acquired an 87 Toyota 4x4 longbox.

Front view

The dreaded IFS:

The truck cab and frame are in very good shape, the bed is very rusty and will have to be replaced with a flat bed most likely. The motor is currently out of the truck and will probably need a head gasket. I have quite a few ideas on what works and what doesn't from my previous 82 Toyota and plan to experiment with some new ideas that have come up in the last year or so. Thanks to Jamie and his Dad for delivering the truck for me on Sunday!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Congrats of the truck, can't wait to see what it's gonna turn out as!

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by mudrunner:
looks nice guys!!! what are the plans, sas, body armor, dana 60's???

Definitely a straight front axle. I'm thinking of a D44 for the front. The bed is gone on this truck so it's going to have a flat bed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to offend any Dana users but make your project an all Toyota one and just use the aftermarket stuff. Superbirfs, highsteer, highpinion front diff....you get the picture.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
looks great , i'm just workin on one as well .. I just tore it down to the frame (tones of stuff for sale) I'm hoping to weld on the extra cab mounts ,to mount a extra cab though .
The main reason I bought this truck is because of the ARB air lockers and 5:29's and the done engine .. frame will be bare tomorrow and will have pics soon (no digital)

good luck with the build up and I know you'll keep us informed ..

------------------
is that u up there :)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1738

·
1,269 Posts
Mmm competition!
If you need a hand drop me a line Wil.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

G

·
Right on. I cant wait for the write-ups on the mods.

BTW, is there a reason that the rear bumper is hanging down like that in the 2nd picture??

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

[This message has been edited by NewToyo (edited March 20, 2002).]

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by NewToyo:
Right on. I cant wait for the write-ups on the mods.

BTW, is there a reason that the rear bumper is hanging down like that in the 2nd picture??

The mounts are pooched I believe. It's a home made job.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
il
Originally posted by rusty85:
Not to offend any Dana users but make your project an all Toyota one and just use the aftermarket stuff. Superbirfs, highsteer, highpinion front diff....you get the picture.
Those are all good parts but more than likely will highly exceed the price of a D44. The Hipinion Toyota in particular is extremely expensive unless you luck out. I also want to go a bit wider than stock Toyota width. Personally, I have no loyalty to Toyota or any other manufacturer , someday I would love to get rid of the 22R and drop in a 4.3 Chev.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by rusty85:
Why bother? It'll be cheaper to get spare outer shafts if he uses a D44 'cuz they'll be stock parts. The D44 can also be cut down on one side to match the rear axle width which is wider on the IFS trucks.

For that matter, a Scout D44 would be about the right width and it has the correct off-set. It would just be a matter of swapping on some 6-bolt hubs. High steer could also be done by using Chevy flat top knuckles.
The knuckle yokes would have to be cut and turned but I've done it before and the only cost is a grinding wheel and welding wire/gas.

It wouldn't be a high-pinion but OTOH, when backing up, which is generally when the front end sees the most stress, it'll be stronger. It also won't have issues with Birfields and can use stock replacement axle shafts (inner and outer).

...lars

ps: I'm just guessing that the Scout d44 is the right width...never actually measured. Would I be correct in saying that a YJ track width is about the same as an IFS Toyota track width??

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited March 20, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where did all this money come from? I thought you guys were close to shutting the page down?

Don't get me wrong I am all for the project, just curious.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doug, I figure your question is innocent but do you figure we should be running BC4x4 for free or at a loss? The point of Larry's post was that either the readers support the Bulletin Board advertisers or we don't run the BB. We aren't going to lose our shirts to keep the Bulletin Board running.

At any rate the money for the truck came out of my own pocket. I happen to be one of the owners of BC4x4 so voila, it's the BC4x4 Project Toyota.

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited March 20, 2002).]

·
Registered
382 Posts
I must say that is DAMN good news to hear Wil... I sure hope this truck turns out to be "the one" you held out for..
Are you going to have it ready for IRC???

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
1,269 Posts
Would an EB 44 work? Or is the diff on the wrong size? I'd imagine it'd be about the same width.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
Would an EB 44 work? Or is the diff on the wrong size? I'd imagine it'd be about the same width.
Diff is on the wrong side and it uses a smaller axle shaft u-joint that the Scout/GM/full-size Ford D44s.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

G

·
So, if the Scout d44 is on the proper side, and the axle is cheaper and stronger, go with the Scout.

Lars: Isnt your YJ equipped with Scout diffs? Any chance you could do a quick measurement to make sure it will fit?

Wil: I have heard that a 4.3/700r4/208 combo is cheaper than actually buying the adapter kit to mate the Toy tranny up with the 4.3L. Just FYI

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Scout D44 is 59" wide if I remember correctly, diff is on the correct side.

Chris, I doubt that it will be ready for IRC....if it is then there is a good chance that it will snow the entire weekend!

·
1,269 Posts
Are you going to be daily driving this thing Wil? If not let's make it into a trail beaster.
May I suggest an SM465 instead of a 700R4? I happen to have 2.

------------------

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.