BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm a little glad I got rid of that bent piece of stock poo.

Stock one with a total of $30 worth of lights :D :

Stock bumper removed (I'd prefer it this way. The approach angle is awsome.):

New bumper bolted on. It hangs about 1/2" - 1" lower than stock, but I figure I can cut the bottom tube in a few inches to get somewhat of a 'V' shape:

New one with a total of $20 worth of lighs on :D :

Anyone in the market for a chrome stock bumper? IS there a market for a chrome stock bumper?

·
Registered
453 Posts
nice bumper, looks sweet:D, where's the tires???

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Rude said:
Stock bumper removed (I'd prefer it this way. The approach angle is awsome.
Technically speaking, the stock bumper only sticks out about 3/16" past the frame rail ends so it really doesn't make the approach angle any worse than if it were not there. ;)

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: New bumper (pics)

lars said:

Technically speaking, the stock bumper only sticks out about 3/16" past the frame rail ends so it really doesn't make the approach angle any worse than if it were not there. ;)

...lars
You know what I meant.

And if you don't, then imagine trying to clear this big imaginary stump with the bumper on:

What I meant about the 'V' shape is that I wouldn't mind having the bottom tube cut a few inches in like so:

That should be fine, shouldn't it? I have end caps, (+ 2 extra). I'll wait untill I have the use of a proper steel-cutting bandsaw instead of a hacksaw though.

(I obviously have nothing better to do than save money and play with pictures tonight)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mudhucker said:
nice bumper, looks sweet:D, where's the tires???
4 of them are sitting in Banff waiting to be mounted. I'll slowly make my way out there tomorrow. Mon/Tues probably.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Re: Re: Re: New bumper (pics)

Rude said:
You know what I meant.
Guilty. I was being pedantic.

In all honesty, though, the width of the stock bumper hasn't been a hindrance. I can think of perhaps a half dozen times where I might wish it were narrower but the odds of it making the diff. btwn getting past and obstacle and not getting past it were still slim.

However, I would definitely do what you're doing and cutting the lower tube on your new bumper since it does stick out a fair bit forward and across.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Iwould cut the lower tube, then notch and fit a short piece between the two tubes near where you cut. It would reinforce both tubes so that if you tapped one on a rock or tree it would be less likely to bend.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i had a bumper like that last year...i had to get rid of it cuz i couldn't find a safe and sturdy way to mount my front tow hooks...have u mounted yours on??

allan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big jeep'n said:
i had a bumper like that last year...i had to get rid of it cuz i couldn't find a safe and sturdy way to mount my front tow hooks...have u mounted yours on??

allan
Not yet - I don't even have any right now. I'm hitting up all my uncles right now for an old winch. If I find one, I'll work everything around it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
big jeep'n said:

allan
Those kind of bumpers assume you don't have a need for tow hooks or a winch. :D :rolleyes:

I'll strongly second what Chris S said about trimming and reinforcing the bumper. I've seen a few of tube bumpers mangled on trees and rocks. The thin wall tube doesn't handle the nasty stuff well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rude said:

Not yet - I don't even have any right now. I'm hitting up all my uncles right now for an old winch. If I find one, I'll work everything around it.
Dude, why didn't you say you needed hooks when you were here? I would've given you my old set.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agent scully said:

Dude, why didn't you say you needed hooks when you were here? I would've given you my old set.
I just grabbed two from Princess Auto in Cow-Town and had the intentions of throwing one up front and one in the rear. After looking for where to put them in the back, I gave up and mounted two up front. If you have an afternoon and want to help me mount one or two of yours on the back of my Jeep soon, I'll gladly take them, but I'll need your input on the install.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big jeep'n said:

allan
Yup. and pics soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rude said:
Anyone in the market for a chrome stock bumper? IS there a market for a chrome stock bumper? [/B]
Well, apparently, theres a market for a black tube bumper, so I don't see why you couldnt find someone to buy the chromie :D:spam

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grrr.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts