BC 4x4 Forums banner

New Paint Job...

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  wade shestaka 
#1 ·
Well I got bored on my week off so I decided to do some body work/painting :D

Canuck Tire Black Saphire spray bomb!

#2 ·
A shot of some of the bondo work needed to cover the infamous flop of 2001 damage:

#5 ·
Hey Dave, good job! But I see you're only showing us the good side, not the bondo'd side! You'll have to scratch it up a bit now, people might think it's a mall runner. Btw, your sig states "no chrome" but I'm pretty sure that front bumper qualifies! :D

#7 ·
Dan O said:
I got one question for you
how many cans did it take?:D
I'm up to about 9 cans of Black Saphire and a few of clearcoat... The paint goes on real nice, but the clearcoat is a mess.

#8 ·
Greg said:
Hey Dave, good job! But I see you're only showing us the good side, not the bondo'd side! You'll have to scratch it up a bit now, people might think it's a mall runner. Btw, your sig states "no chrome" but I'm pretty sure that front bumper qualifies! :D
As far as the bondo side, it looks ok.

The paint looks well, the expression I believe is "good from far, far from good"

In regards to the scratches, I took the lady friend up Mt Cheam on sunday so I got lots of pinstriping now :D

And the the bumper, its been painted since:

#10 ·
BBP said:
Flat black rattle can makes me horny. :D Looks good, you need some chrome trim now though. :laugh
D'oh, its not black, its "Black Saphire" the colour is really close to the toyota colour I wanted "Nightshadow Pearl" (The colour is really dark blue, look at the colour again)

Oh, and I hate chrome, its all about the black trim baby, black trim :D

#11 ·
You gotta keep that paint waxed. The crappy tire paint is the crappiest crap load of crap in a can on the planet.

A couple of months ago I did some minor bodywork on my fenders. I used tremclad auto paint on one and Canadian Tire paint on the other. The tremclad looks perfect without a hint of wax ever put on it. The canadian tire side is faded to grey (was black), chipping on its own and has rust forming underneath it. Both sides were fully prepped with rust-not, and tremclad auto primer. The thing that fazes me the most is that there wasn't any rust underneath the the canadian tire side! It was just surface rust and I managed to sand all of it off.

#13 ·
I love the paint job:laugh I'm a fellow spray can painted truck, i figure hell why spend the cash to paint it nicely when i actually use my truck. As for tremclad being good?? I painted mine tremclad white about 2 months ago and it's fading already and it's white, maybe i got a bad set of cabs, who knows? I painted my chrome/rusty rear bumper with canadian tire rockguard(black), all i did to prep was grind off the rust, use a scotchbrite pad to lightly scuff it then paited and it was dry in an hour, went 4x4ing that night and sprayed it with a 1500psi pressure washer the next day and had no problems, but the rockguard will fade unless painted over top of?? How much were the cans of auto paint and what brand were they?? color match??

#14 ·
9 cans at about 8 bucks a can = 72 bucks just for your color. Not to burst anybody's bubble but you can get a gallon of single stage paint for that. Mind you need a gun and a compressor. Clear is almost impossible to spray outside of a paint booth.

I bet you have a permenant dimple in your finger after spraying that much spray paint.

#15 ·
Spray paint?..... Come on now.... Do it right - use a brush:D

I paint the willys with a brush and regular old General paint enamel.....
Now that it's close to done I plan on using mud to hide the brush marks..

using a brush sure makes for easy touch ups.....

#16 ·
9 cans, did you only do 1 coat?? I used 13 on my blazer, useing regular tremclad cans to get 2 coats?? maybe i should go over it with the paint you used

#17 ·
Pw82 said:
what you use to paint over the chrome?
Sand with 150 - 220 grit (just haze up the surface real good).

Tremclad Auto primer
Tremclad Auto Gloss Black

Make sure its the "Auto" Tremclad. Best spray paint i've ever used.

#18 ·
ChrisOlson said:
Spray paint?..... Come on now.... Do it right - use a brush:D

using a brush sure makes for easy touch ups.....
Rollers work well too.And you`ll get a little more mileage out of a can of paint as well.If ya wanna be really fancy use can use a foam roller.:cool:

#19 ·
Mudhucker said:
9 cans, did you only do 1 coat?? I used 13 on my blazer, useing regular tremclad cans to get 2 coats?? maybe i should go over it with the paint you used
Yeah, I basically did 1 coat, I painted it in sections, and did several thin light coats.
(ie. I'd spray, move to another area, and as soon as the layer was dry enough I'd hit it again)

#20 ·
ChrisOlson said:
I noticed the word 'paint' instead of 'painted' It sounds like a weekly habit. :*******

#21 ·
Rude said:

I noticed the word 'paint' instead of 'painted' It sounds like a weekly habit. :*******
I am going for the total 'BC ferries' look with the Jeep....
Paint layers are like rings on a tree.... Going back you can see how many times I touched it up before the NSOR show and shine:*******

As for 'weekly' touchups...only when the chips and scratches start to get too rusty......

#23 ·
All i can say to anyone who is going to use Tremclad auto is read the instructions! You must re-coat within 2 hours or after:( 7 days. Otherwise it will crack and spiderweb and you will be very, very un-happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.