BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the other day that International was considering coming out with a new model Scout.
Has anybody else heard about this.
A couple years ago I had a '65 Scout 80.
It was a tough rig when it ran properly.

The main problem I had with the motor was on the carburetor.
When I tried climbing any hill the fuel would go to the back of the fuel bowl and it would flood it out.
Holley didn't have the best design for that carb.

------------------
"I see," the blind woman said to the deaf woman.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Never heard that rumour. In this day and age, it would be a sad thing, anyways. It would probably have an IFS and plastic bull bars which would go against everything the original IH trucks stood for. With Scouts, they were always function over form, IMO. Nowadays, people want trucks that look tough but drive like cars.

...lars

[This message has been edited by lars (edited September 06, 2000).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
In my searching out of all information even mildly related to scouts I heard a the same rumor from two people who work closely with Navistar, the first guy works on the engine line at a plant, the second guy runs a truck body company the uses IH and Mack chassis.

They both said that since Ford has been using Navistar diesels for so long, IH was going to contract to Ford to build a light truck body for them.

Just remeber, this is a rumor, but if it is true, I'll be the first person in line to buy an IH 1-ton

I own a 95 f-150 and a 79 scout, and love them both.

Shawn

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can say that again Larry! One of the last trucks made with real door upolstery "METAL"!

Originally posted by lars:
Never heard that rumour. In this day and age, it would be a sad thing, anyways. It would probably have an IFS and plastic bull bars which would go against everything the original IH trucks stood for. With Scouts, they were always function over form, IMO. Nowadays, people want trucks that look tough but drive like cars.

...lars

[This message has been edited by lars (edited September 06, 2000).]
------------------
"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem!"

[This message has been edited by TheAntiChris (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Maybe this is the form the new Landrover is going to take!

Since Ford bought Landrover from BMW, there has been speculation on what sort of grocery-mobile it will turn into.

Maybe this the light at the end of the tunnel! The Ford Scoutrover with a Powerstroke diesel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sounds like a fairly SWB vehicle with a powerstroke and a solid front axle would be fairly popular? well no S***!!!!! you wouldnt be able to keep them in the dealerships! FYI the companies who run mines and such import diesel LC's because they can't get a rugged enough vehicle from a N/A automaker why? because pansy-ass folks want their big high-gvw trucks to be able to drive as smooth and easy as your dad's old buick! well you can't have it both ways!
sorry about the ranting just needed to get that off my chest...

------------------
It's only metal,Man

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by AIRZUKI:
sounds like a fairly SWB vehicle with a powerstroke and a solid front axle would be fairly popular? well no S***!!!!! you wouldnt be able to keep them in the dealerships! FYI the companies who run mines and such import diesel LC's because they can't get a rugged enough vehicle from a N/A automaker why? because pansy-ass folks want their big high-gvw trucks to be able to drive as smooth and easy as your dad's old buick! well you can't have it both ways!
sorry about the ranting just needed to get that off my chest...

Great i just came in and disagree , I have a 99 Dodge , rides like a car hauls like a truck . 4:10 gears cummins motor 4x4

·
Registered
382 Posts
The mines up north tried to use Dodges, GMC's and Fords and they all fall apart way before the Toyota LC HJ75 truck. They drive these things right into the mines and stand on the hood to drill the face, they ride like tanks and are strong like tractor. The new Dodge trucks are not a full float rear axle until you get to the dually and the front axles are Dana 60's with a unit bearing hub, disconnect long side axle and 30 spline axle shafts, this is hardly close to the strength of what was offered in the "Bad old days" of the 70's early 80's when Chev,ford,dodge and International all offered superior drivetrain components on their one ton trucks. I think that if International made a fairly compact, rugged, diesel work truck they would have another hit on their hands.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota (floyota?,toyotfender?)
modified to not require the use of opposable thumbs

·
Registered
42 Posts
In response to the Ford-Land Rover Comment. I own a Range Rover, so i follow this as closely as possible, and the rumors about Ford's current plans are this. All of Fords many SUV's (how many are there no 30!?!!?) are going to be the grocery getters, some pretty Heavy Duty, and they will use the LR line as their capable "off-road" line. This is of course just a rumor.

------------------
Tim
[email protected]
Far East 4x4

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
IH did build a compact heavy duty diesel work truck: the diesel scout terra

118" wheelbase, t19 widerange or closerange, d44 axles, d20 t-case, nissan/chrysler sd33t turbo diesel I6

Just think of a long scout with a half top.

Shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts