BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am normally a toyota guy, but I have the chance to buy a 1970 CJ-5. I am gonna put a 350 in and spring it over if I do get it. I believe it has dana 44's already. What does it have to transfer case, transmission and will a 350 fit in fairly easily(room wise) and with the existing tranny or will i have to swap. If I do swap it would be to a sm-425. it has the 4 banger in it right now and the 3-speed trany. Please elighten me.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
As far as the room goes, I think a 350 is smaller (at least shorter) than an I6 4.0L.... so I think you've got space to spare. Talk to Chris Siebert about this swap, as he's already done it, and I believe he's done some fancy things with the driveline space the shorter 350 offered him.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Baby Joe said:
As far as the room goes, I think a 350 is smaller (at least shorter) than an I6 4.0L.... so I think you've got space to spare. Talk to Chris Siebert about this swap, as he's already done it, and I believe he's done some fancy things with the driveline space the shorter 350 offered him.
Um, Chris has a YJ ... or are you talking about a Jeep he had before the YJ?

Anyway, a V8 will fit no problem. The vintage you're looking at will have a shorter hood than later CJ5s but it will still be roomy enough. Heck, even flat fenders can accomodate a V8.

It will probably have a rear D44 and a front D30. AFAIK, none of the CJs ever came with front D44s.

I don't have any answers 'bout the tcase or tranny. Not that knowledgeable about CJs.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm odd looks beafier then a d-30 but i guess it was dark out. i think the part were the rad sits would have to be cut up a bit but other then that I figure the engine should fit fairly well. is there a facts site like off-road.com has for landcruisers kicking around anywhere?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
lars said:

Um, Chris has a YJ ... or are you talking about a Jeep he had before the YJ?
You're bang on lars, and I knew that, I wasn't thinking when I read the first post. Just assumed it'd be a YJ :p My bad.

Well, on to CJ's.... didn't some of them come with a V8??? I'm not sure which version or year, but I thought some CJ's were bundles with V8's...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.