BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I really love driving & thought that going off-rooad would be fun. I can't seem to get any buddies up to it, so I thought I would look online for some locals clubs. Looks like I found a whole gaggle of off-roaders here. But I love my Jeep & don't want to trash it, just have some fun with it.

Any help or advice for a newbie off-raod wannabe?

cheers,
naph

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well hello there, there is a group of people going up to Stave tomorrow, redxj made a post and he is a real nice guy very helpful to if you have any problems while you are out there.

------------------
81 Toyota 4X4
It's not pretty but it was free and i'm gonna beat it till it dies!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I don't think there is much wheeling in the winter that is very vehicle friendly, but in the summer there are lots of day trips that hapen. Just keep an eye on the trails section and people will post when they are going to head out. I haven't done any trail damage to my truck yet(not that it would show
). What kinda truck do you have?

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited January 05, 2002).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the replies. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for upcoming day trips... gotta work tomorrow. Looking forward to getting out & having fun.

On these day trips does it make much difference about off-road experience? Like anything there must be novice -to- xtreme type trails. How does one know?

I have a Jeep TJ, totally factory stock. Is there anything I should know or be equipped with going out on the off-road?

cheers,
naph

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beef it up!!!!! (just a suggestion)

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I am also quite new to this also. Just ask about the runs when they are posted(how difficult they are) no matter what there will be people there to coach you through the tough sections. I have found the people on this boeard to be great for that. You should head up Eagle ridge next time there is a run up there. If it is still open in the spring.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited January 05, 2002).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a Jeep TJ, totally factory stock. Is there anything I should know or be equipped with going out on the off-road?

cheers,
naph[/B][/QUOTE]

You'll be suprised how far you can go with a stock TJ...I had one and they are a very capable vehicle!! Check out my web site for a few tips at:http://www.fellview.com/barrys%20jeep/trail%20tips.htm

Happy Wheeling :}

------------------
88 4Runner SR5/PMS

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have a spare tire handy and don't go alone

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
a spare tire is a must, but so it a jack that can lift your truck off road. The factory jacks just aren't adequate. I have had my truck for a couple years, so I have collected a couple spare parts, so I also take some parts and a few tools incase something breaks. Never go alone.

------------------

·
Registered
376 Posts
The bare basics you should have are skid plates and tow hooks at each end. This is the requirement for Jeep Jamborees, I believe thay also require a full size spare. Look foreward to wheeling with you.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Few things to consider when wheeling...

1. Carry tools, spare parts, and recovery tools.

2. Carry a full size spare tire.

3. A CB is invaluable for trail communication. Cell phones do not always work. Especially if you are wheeling a 100 miles from cell coverage.

4. Have tow points front and rear on your rig.

5. Never go wheeling alone.

6. Never wheel on private land unless you have permission to be there.

7. If an area is gated, do not go around making illegal by-passes.

8. Consider joining a local wheeling club.

9. Most importantly HAVE FUN!!!!

------------------
Leo
'01 Ford Ranger, BFG M/T's, custom dents and westcoast pinstriping, otherwise completely stock.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

[This message has been edited by 1badfordtruck (edited January 09, 2002).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well when you wheel there is always a certain degree of damage that you're vechile will take-be it cosmetic or internal.
Just always remember-DENTS ARE LIKE SCARS BUT WITH BETTER STORIES!-and that the first dent always hurts the most.
Get yourself a Hi-lift jack-a 36 inch would do or a 48 inch if you are planning on doing any mods to your vechile-IT SUCKS TO GET STUCK ON THE TRAIL CAUSE YOUR JACK IS JUST A BIT TO SHORT.Once you get out on the trail you'll want to do mods-trust me!A hi-lift also acts as a hand winch if you get stuck.
Carry a full size spare-ratchet set-vice grips and some other general tools.Gods gift to 4wheelers was duct tape and zap straps!
Have funand welcome to the sport!
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a list of equipment that you should have with you on a 'wheeling trip; it's posted on my website. Most of it is common sense, but there might be a few things in there that you wouldn't have thought of until you needed it.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Greg:
I have a list of equipment that you should have with you on a 'wheeling trip; it's posted on my website. Most of it is common sense, but there might be a few things in there that you wouldn't have thought of until you needed it.

Wow that is quite the list you have on there.

------------------

·
Registered
92 Posts
welcome to the board,
come out to stave lake in maple ridge.
easy wheelin' and lots of fun.
saturday and sunday around 12:00