BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I so want to take the doors off the TJ on a nice day...and I have seen others with them off...but I'm a bit worried cops will be having a bad day and decide to fine me for it. No, my name's not 'Murphy' :p ;)

So...is it legal?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The simple answer is no. Gotta have the doors and of course mirrors. CJs were the last ones to not have doors factory standard equiped.

It is easy enough to get a set of steel half doors (like I did for my YJ) or you can get some canvas half doors and some mirror brackets for the hinges.

Wes

·
Registered
860 Posts
I always cruise without doors and top...or just doors if I can't get help taking the top off...cruise by the po-po all the time, never a word...in Tj's it says right on the hardtop "Doors and top or for protection from elements, do not rely on them in a crash..." or something like that in other words...they just stops the rain snow, and occasional mud ;) so thus you should be able to drive without the top or doors on, since they are stated as a non safety device...it will not matter either way significantly if you are in a crash...go to motor vehicle to make sure...but if you get pulled over, that's your defense to argue...I have never ever been pulled over for it..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Like Wes said, it is ILLEGAL to be doorless with a TJ in BC. However, I've driven EVERYWHERE from Delta to Surrey and Vancouver to White Rock, past several police cars, even through road checks and never has an officer even mentioned my lack of doors.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I understood the law being you need a rear view mirror and a drivers side mirror and thats all to be street legal. No doors, no top, is all fine as long as you have the mirrors.

How many cops actually look to see if you have mirrors or not doesn't seem to be many.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I seen you jeep guys have this topic before and i'm sure someone said theat it IS legal as long as you have it insured as a multi purpose vehicle?? sound weird to me but i know someone had said this?? Anyone else heard of this idea?? Wouldn't mind knowing this as i will be a TJ owner in about 6months when i get back to the rigs:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
In my travels (BC & AB) It's not so much the doors, as it is the mirrors. Get some mirrors (or at least a drivers-side mirror) from NSOR tomorrow. I've been driving without the doors (and of course top) off of my YJ for a couple of days now, but what I'd really like is some mirrors that slide into the door hinge. That way I wouldn't look like a goof with two mirrors when I have my doors on. I'm calling Yasu and seeing if there is such a thing, as most add-on mirrors I've seen bolt to the windsheild hinges.

(off-topic, but I also think the bigger the Jeep, the less likely you are to be pulled over for doors. If you were a cop, would you pull over a low-rider-stock Jeep without doors or a well-driven, taken-care-of Jeep with 33's and such? I think if lack of doors were the only reason to pull a jeep over, stock ones would be more likely to be busted. just my $0.02. feel free to post your thoughts)

btw, Has anyone here been pulled over for lack of doors/mirrors? First-hand experience would help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Last summer in my friends YJ, i got pulled over on my way to the lake, i was given a warning and told that it's illegal because doors help in a crash?? (how I don't know), I have no mirrors, making changing lanes difficult?(driving school instrucion has proven to me that it's better to shoulder check than depend on mirrors), he went on for abuot 15min because i'm one of those people who will argue uintil i make my point, bad idea. I think the fine was about $72 or something?? last year not a big deal but still could have spent that money on beer? my opinionANOTHER GOVERNMENT MONEY GRAB!!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jeep could solve this problem by making Doors an 'included option' on their trucks... As the MV act states 'vehicles manufactured with doors MUST have doors'
So the yj/tj owners could theoretically have doors made from bug screen and coathanger wire and be legal. But no doors is not legal....
As for my 1948 Willys..... it NEVER was offered from the factory with doors. Everything was an available option.. even the passenger seat.
I can drive the Willys with no doors any time.
Whe I registered my willys the ICBC person in charge decided that the Multipurpose Vehicle class best fit my description of the truck.... No doors.. no top open bodied vehicle.

As for the police busting you for no doors..... you will most likely be ok as long as you have mirrors on the truck...
Another idea is to have the car dealer write you up two recipts for the truck and the doors seperatley.... it might be proof enough for the officer to let you off ( or for the Judge to dismiss the ticket)

·
Registered
353 Posts
The law in BC is exactly as Chris stated. I have been pulled over twice without doors and never had the officer comment. I did have a mirror on the driver's side. I think if you treat the officer with respect they tend to be lenient unless you did something stupid like a u-turn over a median in a school zone while fingering an old lady. If you have any kind of problem with the officer or the charge just nicely "yes sir, no sir" and take it to court.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HHHMMM very interesting. There is a cop in Westbank here that has been giving tickets for no doors to jeep and cruiser owners for the past month. He didn't actualy pull me over as I was parked at the time but he told me I was illegal without doors on my 78 Cruiser. He gave my cousin a ticket 3 days ago for the same thing - he has mirrors all around as well. Im determined not to run doors just for some dick head with a hate on for Cruisers or Jeeps. Could some one tell me where I could confirm the laws in BC on this issue as I know it's only a matter of time before Im trying to be polite on the side of the road with this clown.
thanks Norm

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
You can look it up in the motor vehicle act and regulations.

Chris already stated exactly what it says.

"vehicles manufactured with doors must be equipped with doors"

The motor vehicle act and regulations can be found at your local library, or you can order your own from The Queens Printer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love it when a cop develops a spiteful desire to mess with people who are responsible, and just looking to have a good time with their vehicle.

Wouldn't it be wondeful if resources, and spite, in the force was pooled into a collective desire to rid our streets of actual crime?? Wow! What a concept. That's part of what my vite is there for. What about yours?

Screw the pigs...no offense to any simmering bacon on this forum (if any), but seriously...THERE IS TOO MUCH CRIME IN MY CITY!! FIX IT!!

Also, leave me and my TJ alone...because I also have this:

mwahahahahaha!!

Ok, I have some issues...but it's Monday morning and I'm not done my 1st coffee yet...so....hehehehe.

Cheers!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here are 2 scenerios:
Last night you left an accident scene where there were 2 horribly maimed, dead teens as the direct result of speed. Today you sit in a cruiser as a teen blows by at double the speed on your laser because he didn't get nailed at 10 over, 20 over or even 30 over. You pull him over and he gives you grief. You got the little bugger though!
A month ago you busted a lowlife for breaking into a home and not only stealing all the couple's valuables but thrashed the place completely for no apparent reason. In court he gets a minimal sentence and walks out the door free except for some community labour he will probably not even show up for.
MVA laws are pretty black and white. It's easy and the results give the officer some sort of job satisfaction while busting the true criminals usually nets aggrivation, stress and little if no results.
Not only that but there are many officers spending long hours on crime but these seem 'invisible' to the general public.
Calling police officers 'pigs' is directing your anger in the wrong direction. It's time to call your MLA if you want changes to current laws, yes it is up to YOU.
It's time to stop power whining uselessly and actually put your 'money where your mouth is' so to speak. This is a democracy after all.
Sort of.
And any person who doesn't or can't realize that doors are usefull in the event of a collision or accident for quite a number of reasons really needs to take some IQ pills. This isn't to say I am opposed to running sans doors just that you are definately taking risks similar to riding a motorcycle with a 'beanie' helmet.
Current laws for the manufacture of automobiles set stringent standards for door strength and integrity with side beams and special double door latching to protect the occupants in both frontal and side impact crashes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
sparrow said:
Current laws for the manufacture of automobiles set stringent standards for door strength and integrity with side beams and special double door latching to protect the occupants in both frontal and side impact crashes.
Two years ago my drivers-side door literally fell off when I was at the post office. It turns out that the pins holding it in the hinges broke off at the weld. I've also had various problems with the latches over the years. Either the door wouldn't close, or the door wouldn't open, or (the funniest one) the passenger door would open for no reason. I can confidently say that the laws you are referring to, were not in place when the 1988 YJ's were being built. :D Do new TJ's still have the stickers that say "doors and roof to not protect occupants .... blah blah blah"?? If they do, then isn't that sticker kind of an oxymoron if the doors are manufactured in compliance to the law you mentioned? If you ask me, if you drive in my Jeep, you're safer without the doors because of the many problems (or laughs) they've caused me. Anyways, that just filled up my time, it's time fer lunch.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Rude said:

Do new TJ's still have the stickers that say "doors and roof to not protect occupants .... blah blah blah"??
Yep.

My doors are off, but I don't speed anymore and for the last month or so I've been a bloody cautious driver, I don't think I have much to worry about. Doors Schmores

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sparrow, look at the sarcasm of my post, man...yeah, there were a couple serious points...but overall I'm not 'attacking' cops....just making a little fun with avatars, that's all. This post may differ.

Anyways...the question was not 'is it smart to run without doors?' but rather 'is it legal...?'

Now, while I agree if something terrible should happen, and the doors ever become the saving grace in that situation...sure it would've been stupid not to have them on. Now, go check any crash stat...how many people were actually saved in big wrecks by the doors? Not many.

As much as I know in my own mind that doors would, and should be helpful in the event of a crash, I also know that I bought this vehicle for recreation, even though it my daily driver to/from work. When I see people running without doors, it makes me wanna run without doors...I guess for the simple reason that it look cool, and fun. That's about it.

Now, onto the 'invisible crime prevention' idea. I got stopped in early May for speeding in my Integra. Yes, I was speeding, and didn't comment to the officer, except for the fact that my fiancee had just had surgery a couple days beforehand, we were in the middle of a move (I had empty boxes in the back), and she called me from the old place where she was resting because she was in serious pain at the time....so I was rushing home @ 10pm on a Tuesday. The officer who stopped me followed me for two blocks without his headlights on in the dark, in regular 10pm East Broadway traffic, then pulled me over. He tried to give me a reckless driving ticket also as he said when I changed lanes (although with much room, and with my full flashers going each time) that I was 'reckless'. I told him bluntly "Listen, I don't want to agrue, but you followed me for 2 blocks without your headlights on in the dark in full-on traffic, and if you give me that one, I'll fight it and not pay either ticket. Just give me the speeding ticket because I was speeding, but I WAS NOT driving recklessly as you say I was. If anybody was doing that it was you sir. I will fight that and win, and you know it." He backed off, and sarted to write my ticket. It took him 45mins!!!!! I was waiting on the corner of my street and could see my finacee in the damn window lying on the couch in pain, and she was callling my cell for me to come home, but I couldn't because the fakkr was taking his damned sweet time. As I waited in front of him, a suped-up Dodge (apparently well-known to police in the area, and a regular speeder/kid-endangerer in that area for sure) approached us...when he saw the cop behind me, he sped up and drove right over the circular median (the ones with the flowers in the middle at intersections) and took off to our right spewing flowers and dirt everywhere...If that wasn' enough, he almost killed two kids who were walking home with their mother. She freaked and ran up to the police car screaming 'wtf are you doing??? Didn't you just see that??' the cop replied...'um no madam...blah blah blah'...and proceeded to keep me waiting. There was a little more to the screaming woman...but let's just say she wasn't happy.. I swear to you I was in my car for 45mins, no word of a lie. He finally gave me a $100 ticket (the absolute minimum speeding ticket possible) and sent me on my way.

Now... when I was living in the area, there were 3 drug dealers on my corner most times...actually they hung out in the park, there were vagrants sleeping there, cars speeding up and down the streets day and night, people sleeping in my building's garbage dumpster, and few people like me who actually called the police on many occassions in an attempt to clean he area up. Is it the same, if not worst now then it was 3yrs ago? You bet. More drugs, hookers, etc then ever before, actually. Greeeat.

Nobody can tell me about attempts to nab speeders is the same as cleaning our streets of the 'real' crime I'm talking about. The crime our children are exposed to when we're not around, the crime we are all paying NOT to deal with through our taxes, the crime that is almost invited by our city's compliance to it.

When I post a funny picture of a flying pig it doesn't mean they're pigs...obviously they are not pigs, but human beings...fine...but we elect our politicians to enable just people to enforce the laws that hopefully get passed through our votes, and for the people who elect the gov'ts in power. When these human beings decide to use their power for speeding tickets, and for harrassing decent tax-paying people who happen to be driving Jeeps with no doors...that's when I get upset. Ever notice why there is more police presence at the end of the month? They need to fill the quotas. Simple as that.

I think the desire to really help prevent, and rid communities of crime is soon overshadowed by the realization that beauraucracy of the system doesn't want that to happen, so the policeman individually gets jaded, and starts deciding things on his own, sometimes ignoring the justice involved in the situation. This is only my opinion, and I know this is not always the case...it just seems to happen a lot, is all.

If you want me to edit my picture-rich post above, I will...if it makes you more comfortable, but take a look at what is happening to your city, then decide if you're happy about it or not...then weigh Jeep doors against what concerns you about our justice system...then come back and let's talk about it.

No offense to you personally, btw.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts