BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My defrost and foot heat has allways worked fine since I bought my sammi. I cleaned off the top of the heater core and still no heat out of the upper vents. I also cleaned out all (i think all) of the piping. All i get out of the upper vents is cold air. Anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

------------------
The beast must feast

·
Registered
183 Posts
check your coolent level if its low you usualy dont get heat

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coolant is full

------------------
'86 LWB, 6" SPOA, 32" mud kings, weber carb, 4.62, K&N, 2" exhaust, custom bumpers and roll cage, camaro bucket seats

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're getting heat out of the bottom and just not out of the defrost vents then...

take a look at the heater vent where it blows down onto your feet, if you crouch down beside the vehicle and look in there you'll see a flap that moves up and down. This flap is probably stuck in the down position, if you push it upwards it will seal off the air and start blowing out the defrost vents.

Robin.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I had a problem like this with my 86. I eventually had to dismantle the entire dash to clean all the leaves and debris out of the vents. And the heater core. There was so much crap that the heater box doors couldn't open and close properly.
After this ordeal I finally had a functioning heater and defrost. Wasn't a very pleasent job though.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by schmiot:
If you're getting heat out of the bottom and just not out of the defrost vents then...

take a look at the heater vent where it blows down onto your feet, if you crouch down beside the vehicle and look in there you'll see a flap that moves up and down. This flap is probably stuck in the down position, if you push it upwards it will seal off the air and start blowing out the defrost vents.

Robin.
I do get hot air out of the defrost and bottom vents, just not the upper vents.

------------------
'86 LWB, 6" SPOA, 32" mud kings, weber carb, 4.62, K&N, 2" exhaust, custom bumpers and roll cage, camaro bucket seats

·
Registered
412 Posts
just recently i had this problem crop up on my '91. the rod/linkage that goes from the dash control can pop off the attachments (behind the panel itself, or down by the heater/blower also)
it's a bell crank system and it uses various rods to control multiple linkages.if one pops off,it fails to move one of the flaps into the proper orientation.
another poss. is the connections where the tubes attach to the vent outlets themselves.

ps-when you say : "i do get hot air out of the defrost and bottom vents" -do you mean the "door side" ones or the "windshield" ones when you say "defrost"?

------------------
A.K.A. uzi9mm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Correct me if I'am wrong last time I looked at a sammi setup the center vents where plumbed in ahead of the heater core and as such are only designed to blow cold air.

------------------
A real 4by is one that has been over on all four sides.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, only cold air comes out of those vents. We call it indian air conditioning in the summer.

------------------
YOU TOUCHA MY TRUCK, I BREAKA YOURFACE

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how are u suposed to get hot air then?

------------------
FOR SALE!
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats kinda dumb in a way... man, this whole time I thought there was something wrong with my heater, but its fine then I guess.

------------------
FOR SALE!
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

·
Registered
392 Posts
Living in Ontario, LAND OF MUD, we take our dash apart every year or 2 and clean the heater core, they end up caked with mud and crap wich = no heat. Actually it gets lots of heat but cant push it thru cuz the heater core bakes the mud and it turns into concrete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts